Cooking Tools

Nice. Your project board reminds me of the Boardsmith's pics. My SO said it should be hung on a wall. I believe it would take the best part of a 12 pack for me to slice my first tomato on there, and even then I might only use the bottom.

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Now that we have successfully highjacked this thread.

Hilditch

For some reason, I can relate to Andy Capp.

Hilditch

Thank you Sharon & Kevin. Yes, I designed it, and the island, and the kitchen. and the house. I was hesitant to permanently use the space for the block for fear it would impede traffic but that has not been the case with 39” between the corner of the block and a corner of a wall, so it stays up.

Hilditch

I would consider a cutting board as a kitchen tool as it works with my other tools, so much so I made one for myself and my SIL one. I wanted a bigger one when needed. This one is 30" long and 1"1/4 thick

Hilditch I like your catch tray idea I had thought about doing something similar with my island. I still need to finish trimming it out yet, I've got three home projects to finish before I start a new one and my island although is almost done its still one of the three I need to finish.

Steve,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 27
Re: Cooking Tools #2

MDFraley, I busted the plastic handles off two new meat tenderizers before I decided one of the old fashion solid aluminum ones was the way to go. I got mine for 50 cents. I like chicken fried steak.

Kevin, I have never seen one of those, it looks a little scary to me. I am happy with my new/old aluminum mallet. It works good and it helps me relieve a little anxiety. I'm glad y'all stopped comparing wood and got back to the subject of vintage kitchenalia. I was looking forward to posting pictures of some of the old kitchen tools I have collected over the years. I think the first was a wooden cabbage mandolin.

The Jaccard 48 blade works great. It's cleaning it that's no fun unless you put it in the dishwasher, which is safe to do.

Here is a picture of the Mandolin that started my obsession with kitchen collectibles. It's just the right size to lean against your knee while you sit in a chair grating slaw. Also included is a bit of my shoe. :chuckle:

You guys crack me up. I tenderize my meat with a heavy coffee cup. Works great and you can have coffee later.

Scott

You all are GREAT....That cabbage board is definitely an old one Bonnie. I have a cousin that must have a dozen of them but she also does a lot of canning. Surprised I haven't seen more potato mashers. Got to be dozens of different designs/types according to what I've seen in the antique stores. I cam across one a few months back that had a locking head that could be turned at a 90 degree angle.
Coffee Cup???? "come on man"....

I still mash my potatoes with an "old fashioned" masher. It's not old by any means, but is essentially the same.

Here is my meat thinner and potato masher. The steer/animal has already tenderized the meat I buy so no need to do more. Beating the hell out of stew meat or a chuck roast is a waste of time.

This is my cabbage slicer. Makes great slaw and enough for sauerkraut or cabbage soup in seconds. Well, it is almost 20 years old!

Hilditch

Last edited:
That is what this one is, made by Hobart when they owned KitchenAid, before selling KitchenAid to Westinghouse. It happens to fit Hobart's N50.

Hilditch

Back