Real Corn Bread

Experiment: I wanted something sweet so I took a cornbread stick and had the first two bites with maple syrup. The second two bites with honey and the last two bites with just butter.

I got my sweet fix, but to me the last two bites were the best. Next time I'll just hit on the chocolate cake or pecan pie.

Hilditch

Experiment: I wanted something sweet so I took a cornbread stick and had the first two bites with maple syrup. The second two bites with honey and the last two bites with just butter.

I got my sweet fix, but to me the last two bites were the best. Next time I'll just hit on the chocolate cake or pecan pie.

Hilditch
Try dark molasses sometime.

My wife is a cracker from north central Florida. Their cornbread was traditional which often was dry to the taste.

Charleston tended to lean more towards moist and often included cream corn(do it yourself) and also buttermilk. Moist and good in its own right. Honey or cane syrup sets it off.

No matter what you choose, cast iron makes it better.

OK, I went driving all over town today. Finally found some Bob's Red Mill stone ground "southern style" white corn grits... that's the best I could do.

Using this recipe, the cornbread is baking in a Griswold skillet as I write. I modified the recipe by using bacon drippings and buttermilk.

We'll see... only 10 minutes to go.

Lemme guess. As grits are larger than meal and need to be cooked for 20 - 30 minutes to get them soft, the cornbread you cooked came out a bit crunchy.

Hilditch

OK, it has finished, and I've started on my 2nd piece. The texture is amazing!! I got a very good crust on it, and that, combined with the course grind cornmeal is amazing! I probably would use butter or shortening (or half bacon fat/half shortening) next time, though... the bacon flavor is overpowering the corn.

As for sugar or not... I like both. I guess it all depends on how you were raised, and what you plan to eat with it. I can see though that it doesn't need any wheat flour. It holds together beautifully without it, so why bother?

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Lemme guess. As grits are larger than meal and need to be cooked for 20 - 30 minutes to get them soft, the cornbread you cooked came out a bit crunchy.

Hilditch
Not at all unpleasantly so. But yeah, crunchy.

You are on your way. Bob's corn meal or corn flour is available online. I prefer the texture of the flour.

Now that you know the consistency of the batter and have an idea of the proportions getting to Mr. Parkers recipe is just around the corner. In the South putting sugar in cornbread is a no-no, but pouring honey, molasses or syrup on it makes it dessert.

Hilditch

OK, I went driving all over town today. Finally found some Bob's Red Mill stone ground "southern style" white corn grits... that's the best I could do.

Using this recipe, the cornbread is baking in a Griswold skillet as I write. I modified the recipe by using bacon drippings and buttermilk.

We'll see... only 10 minutes to go.

I wish to do that cornbread but I only have lodge,bsr,and Wagner skillets:icon_rofl:

I'll second that request. I can not find a potato bread recipe that tastes like potatoes - in or out of a skillet! Always too much wheat.

Hilditch

I'll second that request. I can not find a potato bread recipe that tastes like potatoes - in or out of a skillet! Always too much wheat.

Hilditch

Well you can't do without the wheat but here's Grandma's recipe

Ingredients
3 medium Idaho potatoes (fist size)
2 cups warm potato water
2 Tbsp shortening
1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt
6-1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Prep

Peel and cut up potatoes in a large pan with water and boil until potatoes break apart when stuck with a fork.
Drain but keep 2 cups of the potato water. Mash the potatoes in a large bowl with the potato water. Add
shortening and stir until dissolved. Set aside until the potato mix is lukewarm. Stir in yeast, sugar, and salt.
Mix in enough flour to make a thick dough that can be kneaded by hand and knead for 8 minutes breaking up
any lumps. Put dough in greased bowl and turn dough over so the top of the dough is also greased. Cover
with a towel and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place.

Knead again to get the air out and then cut the dough in half to form two loaves. Put into a greased loaf pan
and let rise again for 30 minutes or until it doubles. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Use a paper towel,
wipe shortening on the top crust of the loaf and then let bread cool on rack. Serve warm or cold.

You need to make double the batch because you'll eat one loaf right out of the oven . . . with butter.
Trust me. :glutton: :glutton: :glutton:

Last edited:
Back