Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:24 PM

Default Can I get opinion on this #10 Gris ??

I hope this is OK to post and ask for an opinion on the piece. I've been looking for a #10 Gris

Can I get An Opinion
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2015, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Can I get opinion on this #10 Gris ??

Way too much money. They do go for that high, but it's a bit silly to pay that much for one. I don't personally think you need a lid, unless you just want one. Save the lid for the deep fryer or dutch oven you want. Skillet lids are insanely priced right now.

I just got a second series Erie No. 10 with makers mark for $135 including shipping, and I probably overpaid. You should be able to find a small logo 10 for a good bit less than that. There is one sitting in an antique store right now at my hometown for $55. Has a minor warp in the bottom, but would still work well. With the exception of a grooved handle #10, paying anywhere near that much for a small logo skillet is just getting too hasty. Save your money for a truly nice piece and if you just need a user for now look to keep it at $75-$90 tops, I'd think.

Here is an Erie with 17 hours left on it at $76 + $13 currently.

Here is a Wagner, BIN at $65 + $20, still too much but way better than $300.

Here is a 60s Wagner #10 currently at $9 + $15 with less than two days left on it.

I don't endorse any of these auctions; these are just examples of 5 minutes worth of looking that would be better to keep any eye on than dropping that much money at a dedicated vintage cast iron store, IMO.

Also, where are you located? Finding a #10 with a day's worth of interstate antique store shopping with decent pricing is not THAT hard...

Last edited by JaredS; 01-31-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:25 AM
Site Admin

If a #10 smooth bottom user is what you need, and you want a quality pan without spending a fortune, look for unmarked Wagners from the period they were still polishing them. They just say "11-3/4 Inch Skillet" on the bottom at 6 o'clock, and sometimes Made In USA under that. When you find them in the wild, they can often be had quite inexpensively, as they don't say Wagner on them, but are every bit as good as a marked one (or a SBL Griswold for that matter).
Old 01-31-2015, 01:43 AM

And if you're really set on getting a #10 SBL...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-10-...item1c4cc76362

FREE SHIPPING!... which kinda makes up for the slightly high price... but still a much better deal than the one you're asking about.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:52 AM

It's not just ebay that has crazy prices. Saw A Wagner 1891 11-3/4" at a thrift store yesterday for $45. Man was that thing heavy!!!

Went back after work today (trying to kill time while traffic cleared out a bit) The 1891 was gone, but there was a Lodge Wok (The one with assist & long handle) with flash rust for $15. I bought the Wok! Being cleaned as I type this.

Same thrift store a few months ago. Erie bulged 3-legged pot. $14.

Patience & persistence pays off. Visit a flea market once and don't find anything, the time you don't go someone will tell you the story about the cast iron guy trying to get rid of a lifelong collection for pennies on the dollar.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:50 PM

Many thanks all! I hear you on the lid, I think I'll pass on that. Otherwise, I'm really looking for an exceptionally intact piece. I'd really like a perfect inside finish with zero wobble Again, I'm buying it for performance and I like the Griswolds.

I'll have a look at those links. Thanks very much. I'm really very grateful
Old 02-01-2015, 01:11 PM

I have a Wagner unmarked Chicken Fryer with a Griswold lid that is displayed on the site you posted. I got it for $5.00 at a garage sale by merely asking if they had any cast iron for sale. That was like 10 years ago. I also got a #12 BSR unmarked the fellow just threw in because it was pretty grungy. That Wagner has the slightest amount of wobble and works like a champ. I've seen several like it on Ebay for 1/4 of the price posted on the site you offered. If I go to buy a piece off Ebay, you can bet the seller is going to get tired of answering my questions.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 PM

IMO....I like having the lid, kind of the "whole package", BUT I also agree that prices have skyrocketed in the last 6 months....and unless you can find a flee market bargain, it may not be worth it
Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 PM

I'm noticing the crazy ebay prices are now bleeding over into the flea market scene. What would have been $10-15 last year is more like $25-35 this year.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:24 AM

Picked up am unmarked Wagner #12 for $10 last weekend. Ugly but a great used, They are still out there. Enjoy the hunt