Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Performance Differences, Old vs New Griz

Ted, an older Erie might be slightly thinner than a small logo Gris, but I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) you would see a much greater difference between a small logo Gris and a Lodge or BSR than you would between the SBL and an Erie. I only have one SBL in my collection so I am no expert... but I thought that might be of some interest for perspective. All things considered, and compared to other makers, a small logo Gris is still a relatively thin cast piece.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2015, 05:37 PM

Thank you Jay-

As was said earlier, any Gris should perform similarly, the bigger issue being the condition.

Just wish I could find a flat pan below the astronomical prices on eBay.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:45 PM

As far as Lodge goes, I'd say the no-notch, single notch, and early 3-notch all have pretty comparable thickness as a small logo Griswold. I've never actually measured it, but that's just a "feel". I can't really comment on BSR because everything I run across is post-automation.

Favorites are crazy thin and light, even more so than most of the Eries I've handled.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:54 PM

The pre-auto BSR are pretty solid... maybe a little lighter than the automated stuff, but not by much.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------[/SIZE]

The supposedly earlier 3-notch Lodge pieces I have (1940s... molders mark on raised "blob" above the size number) are pretty heavy. The two I have that I assume date to the '50s (no blob with molder's mark) actually seem lighter and thinner than the supposedly earlier ones. I completely agree about the 1-notch though.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:58 PM

All really interesting stuff Jay! The cast iron items are amazingly compelling. I can see why people collect them.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:34 PM

As for the usability, I would lump iron into 3 categories: older thin walled (outer heat ring), all iron made from 1910-1950s, and > 1950s. You can not go wrong with anything in the first two categories. .....
Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSchamberger View Post
As for the usability, I would lump iron into 3 categories: older thin walled (outer heat ring), all iron made from 1910-1950s, and > 1950s. You can not go wrong with anything in the first two categories. .....
I second this. Well said!

Performance-wise, I favor things from the 1910-1950s range. Although I appreciate and love those Eries, early Wagners, and the like, they're finicky. The thin walls heat and cool faster, which means more pronounced hot/cool spots, and they're much more likely to bow up or down during use.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:04 PM

I have stainless for most common frying / cooking, but wanted the cast for certain applications. Searing meats being a biggie.

So a new lodge that is heavy is a plus as mentioned earlier. And if I re-surface the Lodge, I won't have a collectible, but it would be a performer.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
I have stainless for most common frying / cooking, but wanted the cast for certain applications. Searing meats being a biggie.

So a new lodge that is heavy is a plus as mentioned earlier. And if I re-surface the Lodge, I won't have a collectible, but it would be a performer.
Or save yourself the labor, and grab a post-automation piece that was still milled and polished at the factory. I almost bought a #10 BSR century series at the flea market this past weekend. They are built like a tank, and have a fair bit of heft to them but aren't overly heavy. I was just feeling a bit too cheap, and the guy wouldn't take $20 after asking $25 so I walked away. In the end it made the wife happy that another skillet didn't follow me home

You can grab unmarked Wagners, "Made In USA" Lodge and BSR, all pretty easily and cheaper than what a same sized new Lodge would cost you.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Site Admin

I tend to agree. Factory polished iron is still plentiful enough, and can be had at bargain prices enough that it's not necessary to go through all the trouble to buy and grind down new Lodge iron yourself. I think some people just like watching themselves on youtube, and will think up ways to do that.