Griswold Small Logo Grooved Handle #10

$2716.66. Plus shipping. One wonders if this will prompt others out of the woodwork, as has been known to happen. Doubtful, as the listing doesn't specifically address the reason it went so high.

So what makes that pan so special? Maybe someone had that opening in their collection and was going to get it at any cost?

$2716.66. Plus shipping. For 1 pan.....

So what makes that pan so special? Maybe someone had that opening in their collection and was going to get it at any cost?

$2716.66. Plus shipping. For 1 pan.....

the small logo grooved handle size 10 is VERY RARE... not just hard to find... but like for the last 30 years or so people have not even been sure griswold ever made one. They certainly made 10's with small logos with the other handles... those are pretty common... but no one had ever seen a grooved handle #10. That's why this sold for the price it did... The guy who is selling it probably didn't realize what he had... his father was the collector (and passed away) and he has been selling off his cast iron piece by piece on ebay for about a year now... and he (or his dad) had some pretty nice pieces.

Got yea well the latest book I have says its worth about $400-$500. But I guess that's just a ball park figure. Thanks

I think even at the time the blue book was last updated they thought there must be 'some' of them out there.. most people just don't realize that any grooved handle small logo could be 'rare'... so I think they put that price range on it because they didn't have anything to go on either... no one had seen one (other than, as doug mentioned above, some blurry bigfoot type picture of someone holding one) let alone sold one... I've seen enough 'unusual' cast iron pieces sell at auction to know if there are two or more people who want to own it... the price could be 5 to 10 times what is listed in the blue book... when you have pieces that you only see in person once or twice per decade... you better buy it when you have the chance... because you may not ever see another one.

The photo wasn’t clear on the handle your talking about. Is there a better photo out there of what your talking about on the handle compared to what you normally see? I’m sure I’ll never see one since I’m not a fanatic collector. I have the ones past down from family members, that I never knew were they were collector items. As a matter of fact I didn’t know anyone was snatching them all up until around a year ago or less. Since then I have stopped by the Salvation Army type store close to me several times to see if they have any. I use what I have. I did find two aebelskivers and had no idea what the were until I asked here. I paid around 2 or 3 dollars a piece and found one is from around 1850. Those the only things I have that I don’t use. I would like to find some more skillets made before the 60’s simply because they cook better.

Reading the Vintage Cast Iron LLC website - it appears that the eBay sale did not go through - due to the no-return policy of the seller and the authenticity cold feet of the buyer. This from a 12/1/18 post; (from the post): "Coming up next…examination by ... ["likely after the new year"]. And then? Back to eBay, where I wager a guess that it will draw much more than it did the first time."
So - if you see it back on eBay, let us know!

Last edited:
Reading the Vintage Cast Iron LLC website - it appears that the eBay sale did not go through - due to the no-return policy of the seller and the authenticity cold feet of the buyer. This from a 12/1/18 post; (from the post): "Coming up next…examination by ... ["likely after the new year"]. And then? Back to eBay, where I wager a guess that it will draw much more than it did the first time."
So - if you see it back on eBay, let us know!

she also posted the analysis from a guy with a pretty extensive background in industrial casting and machining... his 'analysis' was that the pan in question was cast the way it was and not 'machined' from an existing 'late' handle small logo pan... so it is a 'real' grooved handle 10 from the griswold factory... given that, I doubt it will show up back on ebay... but will probably be sold to a private individual for a large sum of money... probably Larry and Marge O'Neil out in Tacoma... they have a 'collection' of over 14,000 cast iron items and have a museum... you can see some pics online from their collection if you search their name

Back