• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Chicken Cacciatora

W. Hilditch

Please note that I only post tried and true recipes that I have proven to be a “9” to me. There ain’t no 10’s. Not ones for you to try and tell me about the results. This one is to make a mess with your #10 skillet. Serves 4.

2 - 1+lb. bone in chicken breasts cut in half -----1 onion diced
2 Tsp butter & 2 Tsp olive oil --------------------- 1 Tsp chopped parsley
1 stalk celery sliced thin -------------------------- 1 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper
1 carrot scrapped & sliced thin ------------------- 1/2 tsp oregano
1 green pepper chopped -------------------------- 2 toes of garlic chopped
1 15 oz can whole tomatoes drained and cored
1 8 oz can tomato sauce + 1 tsp sugar -----------1/4 cup wine

Brown chicken on all sides in butter & oil. Remove. Add all vegetables (except tomatoes) and spices, cover & simmer about 10 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and add chicken. Cover and simmer about 1/2 hour. Serve on spaghetti.

Note: Browning the chicken will take a while so the other prep work can be done then and the spaghetti can cook while the dish is simmering. Other bone in, a requirement, chicken parts will work good too.

Hilditch

Hilditch: What a gorgeous dish! I may have to break down and try that soon.:) Thanks again for all the inspiration you provide on the forums!

That looks incredibly delicious...especially on a cool, winter day in New England. Thank you for sharing!

Back