Replacement bail for DO

Travis G.

Hello all. What are your thoughts on the subject? Searched a plethora of places and didn't find a lot of info. Do you use round stock? Or just some kind of thick wire? Is there somewhere I can pick up the ones with the wrapped wire handles?
Thanks for any and all info.
Travis.

1st I'd check HD. I think I've seen 1/8" steel rod there in 3' pieces.

Next, Lodge sells Dutch ovens with both the bail and spiral bail. They do not list parts on their site, but a phone call could be worthwhile. Start with; "I NEED help." and you might get lucky.

Flea & Yard.

Hilditch

Are you looking for one to match a particular size/model? I see a lot of dutch ovens with fatal cracks but usable bails. Maybe one of us forum users has just the bail you are looking for.
Benjamin

Travis G.
I go to a flea market in Winnie, TX every month. It is held the weekend prior to the second Monday of the month. There is a vendor there that sells nothing but new cast iron cookware and accessories. I believe I saw a display of replacement bails there.

Unfortunately I have no contact information for the vendor but I will be there again on the wekend of 9/12-9/13/15. I'll try to remember to ask about the bails and get the contact info.

Don't hesitate to send me a PM reminding me a day or two before.

At least one of the CIC members is a blacksmith but I don't rember his name. I do remember him posting about making a new bail for a DO he had bought. Maybe he will see this and contact you.

Good luck with your search.

I've seen replacement bails on ebay. The picture shows several, I don't know if you have to buy a pack of several or if it's just a display of what they offer.

I made my own bail for an 11 in gate marked dutch oven. I got a piece of round stock at Home depot. It works great.

The tomato plant protective wire cages make a great handle. Since they are round and graduated the arc is already made for you. A couple of cuts with a hefty cutter and a touch up with a file or grinder and they look as good if not better than the originals. Be sure to get the heavy gauge wire and not the cheep stuff.
Good luck

Hello all. What are your thoughts on the subject? Searched a plethora of places and didn't find a lot of info. Do you use round stock? Or just some kind of thick wire? Is there somewhere I can pick up the ones with the wrapped wire handles?
Thanks for any and all info.
Travis.

I was going thru some of the post, I figure I could help on this one. Something I asked some time in May.

FROM LODGE:

Reba Wooden <rwooden@lodgemfg.com>

Yes, we sell bale handle for $5.00 each. You will need to call customer service at 423-837-7181 and place your order.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Thank you,

Reba Wooden
Lodge Manufacturing
423-837-7181

Hope this helps
Serge_G

I always understood the process to be shape the wire, then temper it, so re-shaping already-tempered wire may not be so simple. The shape at the attachment points is also different between brands, Griswold's locking feature being one example.

yes it not easy putting a bail on my griswold 9,,,went to home depo and found a 3/16 stainless solid wire and put it on with lots of trouble,but i got it on,,,hard to bend the wire, using a torch and vise with pipe

---------- Post added at 05:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

I've seen replacement bails on ebay. The picture shows several, I don't know if you have to buy a pack of several or if it's just a display of what they offer.

I made my own bail for an 11 in gate marked dutch oven. I got a piece of round stock at Home depot. It works great.

i did the same thing but it was very hard to bend had to use a torch, vice and a pipe

Back