Griswold #8 Warped

MKuran

Well I bought a Griswold #8 on eBay that I found out was warpped. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Its in excellent condition and would be nice to save if possible.... Thanks for any suggestions

Mike

MKuran,
The good news is that if you have a gas stove the warp may not make any difference. I have a #8 Griswold spinner that I deemed not worthy of trying to resale and it has become one of my most used/go to pans.

Good luck

Jack

Thanks Guys! I have a 50ton press at work and figured well what do I have to loose and was thinking about taking a 5" circular bar and press it down till it's flat or hummmm maybe cracked... Luckly it didn't cost much but I took a chance.....

Thanks Guys! I have a 50ton press at work and figured well what do I have to loose and was thinking about taking a 5" circular bar and press it down till it's flat or hummmm maybe cracked... Luckly it didn't cost much but I took a chance.....

cast iron isn't really known for its 'flexibility'... its a fairly brittle metal.

You have zero chance of fixing that pan using the press and 100% chance of breaking it. It may be warped now but it's still usable on a gas stove or as a camp piece. Use that press and it'll be unusable scrap.

It may be called "cast iron" but it's not pure iron. On the contrary, its carbon content is even higher than steel. And being cast, it has no internal structure / grain / temper. Very brittle. You cannot bend it using pressure, it will only break.

The warping was caused by differential heating and can't be undone short of melting it down and recasting it.

Back