Help! Is My Skillet Beyond Repair? Flaking!

A_Soucheck

Hi all - I have this no name skillet (would love to learn more about its make if anyone is so inclined!) my dad had given me in college and I had used for many years. It started to “flake” a while back and I put it into semi-retirement until I had the time to possibly restore it. Now that I have the time, a few questions for you all.

First, from the photos what appears to be flaking? Is it the seasoning, crud from years of cooking or part of the skillet? I’m not sure what else it would be, enamel?

If seasoning or crud, I assume it’s safe to follow the restoration process outlined on the website. If it's not seasoning that is flaking, any suggestions as to what it may be and the next steps to verify and restore or is the skillet beyond repair?

think it could be a birmingham?

Attachments

• IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 56
I agree. Looks like just seasoning flaking. I would just strip it and start over. Goes to prove your pan was used a LOT....thats the best ones.

Those particular markings would be more like late 1960s through most of the 1970s.

The photos don't conclusively show that the Made in USA is absent or present. But it doesn't matter, the 5 H-2 marking places it after the time Made in USA was added, well after the 1950s and early 1960s .

The photos don't conclusively show that the Made in USA is absent or present. But it doesn't matter, the 5 H-2 marking places it after the time Made in USA was added, well after the 1950s and early 1960s .
I apologize I didn’t notice the 5 H-2 marking. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about BSR. I have a Red Mountain Skillet I got from my grandmother that I have recently restored and my wife’s aunt gave me some cornstick pans that look to be BSR copies. Identical to BSR pans but don’t have any markings at all

Back