I Broke My First Piece of Cast Iron Today!

MEKlama

I guess it was bound to happen some day. ;{

I picked this one up about a month ago, and was pretty excited about the purchase. I went to estate sale, of a guy who runs estate sales, and owns a antique store. he was liquidating excess inventory. The prices were unbelievably low. This piece was out in the back yard, and looked like it may have been there for a while. It was cracked up in rust, it was beyond what I would have typically purchased, but the price was just too good to pass up. I have been carefully cleaning it up for about a week.

Everything was going pretty good until today. I just got the last of the rust removed, and put it on the stove to dry before it flashed rusted back up. I was using a paint brush to apply a thin layer of oil, and all sudden I noticed a crack in the hinge. I'm pretty confident it was not there before a scrubbed it down moments earlier, as the open close mechanism seemed very solid while I was cleaning it. I continued with the initial seasoning process, as I had a couple other pieces to do. I used one very light coat of GrapeSeed oil in the oven The initial coat seemed to turn out pretty decent. I can't remember if I ever used this before, but may have as I don't stick to a real strict regimen.

This is sadly the piece I broke.

Does anyone know who made it? I have not tried to identify it yet!

30wa4py.jpg

282kwvn.jpg

At least the base is good, and probably worth more than what I purchased the set for.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

I might try and drill the hinge, and tap treads for a screw, so I could at least use it for my self. I have not attempted to do this before on cast iron but I'm sure given time I'll find a solution that will work well enough for me. I'm pretty good at repairing stuff. Maybe I'll just put a pin in, and tap down its edges so it does not slip out.

Last edited:
Awwww...so sorry. That looks like it may be an older piece , judging by the handle. Good luck fixing it, no sense not using it.

Back