Lodge LCC3 Seasoning OK?

NateN

So I gave up trying to find a BSR or Griswold chicken fryer for a reasonable price and just ordered a Lodge LCC3 from Amazon Warehouse Deals - I figure for a little over $30 I can get a lot of utility out of it and if I get it in good shape seasoning wise I can possibly even sell it for almost what I paid if I do find a vintage one, that's assuming that no little people would express an interest in it of course.

So my question is, has anyone bought one of these recently and what is your opinion of the Lodge factory seasoning? I have heard that some of the larger sizes tend to have issues is why I'm asking; I'm wondering if I shouldn't just strip and reseason on arrival or would it be OK to try cooking on it?

I am finally to the point where I do feel comfortable with my seasoning technique, herself made fried eggs yesterday in the second-to-last skillet I restored (a slant logo no heat ring Griswold #5) which has only been used a few times, and they came out fantastic with minimal oil. The last one (a #7 Red Mountain) even had some fine rust pitting on the cooking surface and I haven't tried eggs on that one yet but it's been amazing on everything that I've cooked in it. So, as an aside, thank you all, the members over at CIC, and also Jeff Rogers for getting me straight; I've gone from not knowing what the hell I'm doing to being so confident that I'm now going back and restoring the hand me downs I've had for 20 years because my "new" skillets work so much better. Thank you!

Thanks for any opinions!

Back