Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 07-12-2020, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Braised Short Ribs

I got a Le Creuset 9 1/2 quart oval dutch oven at eBay at half the going rate. Apparently there's some sort of outlet store that is selling seconds with color spotting inside and little cosmetic scratches that is selling them at a discount. Some people try to sell them at full price, but more ethical people photograph the problems carefully and point them out. That makes a lot of people pass over them, so they get listed over and over. I contacted the seller and made a very low offer and they came way down from their buy it now price. It's worth making an offer even if they don't have make an offer on the listing.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetseyT View Post
Here's an old post from 2016:
http://www.castironcollector.com/for...ead.php?t=4202

Some discussion about replacing the wine with more beef broth. Doug D. weighed in.

Recipe links to "The Pioneer Woman," who used an enameled Dutch oven (link has pictures).
I realize I'm replying to a post from last February, but the quoted link to a thread from 2016, that 2016 thread was my thread.

Yes, though I got away with using the wine that time, in general I agree with what Doug said and have stopped using acidic foods (tomato, wine) in my regular cast iron, particularly for long cooks, in order to not damage the seasoning.

I've yet to invest in quality ECI (Le Creuset, Staub, vintage Descoware) and haven't been able to bring myself to buy Chinese ECI (Tramontina) so instead, when I cook dishes like that these days, I use multiclad stainless steel and save my CI for another day.

Have a good one.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:22 PM

I have a Cooks Essentials DO, enameled , and it works just as good as a "good"one. I paid 4 bucks at GW.