• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

My baked beans recipe

ShawnE

For a #10 Do and a lot of people

2 Lbs great northern beans
3 Lbs bacon (I'm frugal, and use ends and cutoffs)
2 medium onions rough chopped
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp salt
4 cups vegetable broth
optional - 1 or 2 can(s) diced tomatoes (drained)
optional - 1/2 tsp hot sauce of your choosing

Soak beans (after checking for stones, etc) in 1 - 1 1/2 gal water overnight. Drain before adding to remaining ingredients .

Rough chop bacon and render in DO over medium heat. Midway through add onion to sweat.

After bacon is rendered, drain bacon grease. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and cook covered in oven at 250F for 8 Hrs or more (I do it overnight).

Enjoy :glutton:

Last edited:

1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp salt
4 cups vegetable broth

Soak beans (after checking for stones, etc) in 1 - 1 1/2 gal water overnight. Drain before adding to remaining ingredients .

Rough chop bacon and render in DO over medium heat. Midway through add onion to sweat.

After bacon is rendered, drain bacon grease. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and cook covered in oven at 250F for 8 Hrs or more (I do it overnight).

Yum. but enough beans to feed an army :D

Think it's beans for supper tomorrow night, fresh loaf of bread in the dutch oven to complement.

Fresh bread and beans, one of my favorites. Haven't bought bread in 15 Yrs, always make it. Simple if you have power tools.

When I make charra beans I add like 3 or 4 big jalapeño pepper chopped :glutton:( do not get the dark green color those are spice) light green and bunch cilantro it gives good taste and smell good, :glutton:

Yum. but enough beans to feed an army :D

RobM You can freeze the baked beans. I like to make a large batch each time and freeze some, very good cold or hot.:glutton:

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp salt
4 cups vegetable broth

The other baked bean recipe that I use is about the same as yours but I add.
Black Pepper, Dry Mustard, hit of Vinegar, and pinch of Ground Cloves.

You add Diced Tomatoes and Vegetable Broth, that I do not. Do not get me wrong as I like the idea of diced tomatoes. I rinse the beans then put them in the pressure cooker for around 20 - 30 minutes, Baked Beans are ready in 4 hours. I just add some of the bean water from the pressure cooker when needed. I did post my baked bean recipe a while back.

Thank you for sharing.:glutton:

Next weekend is a big cook. Gf's kids birthday, request made for a large DO full of homemade chili, baked beans and home made bread.

When I make charra beans I add like 3 or 4 big jalapeño pepper chopped :glutton:( do not get the dark green color those are spice) light green and bunch cilantro it gives good taste and smell good, :glutton:

How about posting that recipe Edgar? I love charro beans but don't have good recipe

I rinse the beans then put them in the pressure cooker for around 20 - 30 minutes, Baked Beans are ready in 4 hours. I just add some of the bean water from the pressure cooker when needed. I did post my baked bean recipe a while back.

Thank you for sharing.:glutton:

The pressure cooker technique is a good way to reduce the time to hydrate the beans. I also happen to prefer cooking the recipe for at least 8 Hrs. I believe that this this allows the flavors to develop more fully. I have used the bean water in the past for liquid, but I believe that the veg broth adds more flavor.

Just my $0.02

The pressure cooker technique is a good way to reduce the time to hydrate the beans. I also happen to prefer cooking the recipe for at least 8 Hrs. I believe that this this allows the flavors to develop more fully. I have used the bean water in the past for liquid, but I believe that the veg broth adds more flavor.

Just my $0.02

Vegetable broth = sodium / salt We do not have salt on our table only sea salt for a little cooking.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...d-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479

While the beans are in the pressure cooker I put all the remaining ingredients in a pot on the stove and heat them to dissolve the sugar, molasses etc That is my jump start on flavor town.

OK, you made me spill all my beans (tricks).:tasty:

I make a pineapple sugar ham once in a while, and always do a dutch of beans with it. The juice from the ham poured into white beans with bacon is amazing.

Boil a regular smoked ham leg in 50/50 7-up or sprite and apple juice for an hour. Remove ham and prep to dress it. Poke shallow holes all over the ham and insert whole cloves every square inch or so. Lay pineapple rings all over the ham, use toothpicks to hold them in place. Mix the leftover pineapple juice from the can with brown sugar, and baste the ham. Into the oven at 300 for several hours, keep basting the ham periodically.

Basic great northern white beans with bacon, simmer them in the oven for a bit and add the juice from the ham as they dry out and let them brown naturally, don't need molasses. The combination of sugars, smoke from the ham, the cloves, the pineapple juice makes them lovely.

Vegetable broth = sodium / salt We do not have salt on our table only sea salt for a little cooking.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...d-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479

While the beans are in the pressure cooker I put all the remaining ingredients in a pot on the stove and heat them to dissolve the sugar, molasses etc That is my jump start on flavor town.

OK, you made me spill all my beans (tricks).:tasty:

The veg broth that I make has very little salt in it. A little salt (per the recipe) does help the beans to be tender.

2 tsp salt per your recipe + veg broth (little salt) + tomato paste (little salt) + 1 or 2 can(s) diced tomatoes (little salt) + 3 Lbs bacon (little to much salt for me)

I'm sure that it is the bacon that contributes the most salt. But it's bacon, I can forgive it that. Bacon is at the top of the food groups IMHO :glutton:

I'm sure that it is the bacon that contributes the most salt. But it's bacon, I can forgive it that. Bacon is at the top of the food groups IMHO :glutton:

You can have it your way, that is fine.

But here this, 10 years ago I was taking meds for some health issues. 10 years ago was also the last time that I needed to take any meds. Kick the salt while you have a choice. Salt or meds, just saying. It worked for me.

Glad to hear that it worked for you. Health is ones greatest asset. That being said, you'll have to pry my bacon out of my cold dead hands. :)

Glad to hear that it worked for you. Health is ones greatest asset. That being said, you'll have to pry my bacon out of my cold dead hands. :)

Funny thing, that is just what I told my Doctor. He told me that Moderation was the answer. :icon_thumbsup:

Back