This isnt plating of some kind, right?

KeithC

I'm assuming this is just really lightly colored cast iron. Notice the two-toned interior. When I was cleaning it, it almost looked silver. Under this light it looks darker. Any thoughts on this thing?

Attachments

• photo (31).jpg
    photo (31).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 38
  • photoKN3LZK6C.jpg
    photoKN3LZK6C.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 36
I'm assuming this is just really lightly colored cast iron. Notice the two-toned interior. When I was cleaning it, it almost looked silver. Under this light it looks darker. Any thoughts on this thing?

Other than defying gravity, I don't see anything really odd :)

In my early days of CI, I boiled water in a skillet to clean stuck on food...and it developed a very similar two tone line part way up the side like yours. That line has never evened out with use, but it is a piece I only use occasionally...so it would probably even out if I used it regularly.

Thanks for the reply Doug.

It's hard to see in the picture because I have an old 3G phone but it is pretty lightly colored, then has that darker ring about 2/3 the way up the top. I have seen this a couple of other times, and wasn't sure what the deal was.

Anyway, back to cleaning it up. Still has a decent amount of surface rust in places I need to get off.

Back