New Lodge Blacklock Line

Nice. Wish they wouldn’t season them tho.. just smooth like the older 3 notch or single notch and sell them unseasoned would be awesome

I would venture that if Lodge wanted to compete with the 'boutique' CI out there (Field, Finex, Butterpat, Stargazer, etc.) then a milled flat interior would have been implemented. Knowing it's not necessary, just having it triple seasoned isn't enough to justify the cost.

I think the cost is fair, and the skillets look very good to me. Glad they made this move.

A milled surface I feel was necessary to compete with the boutique skillets. They should also offer an un-seasoned version in the pans.

I will stick to the regular line of Lodge ware. The prices for the new line are 3-4 times the regular pots and pans.

I care more about function than looks. The regular line works great. I have never had a problem with sticking. The 12 inch skillet, and 10 inch griddle portion of my combo cooker is pretty heavy, but I like the fact that they hold heat well. I will sometime cook something, then just run of the heat and serve out of the skillet. The skillet will keep the food warm for 30 minutes or more so the food stays warm for seconds.

Nice looking pans. I haven't had a chance to handle one in person yet. Here's a quick look at prices from Lodge and other high end skillets' websites they're competing with. I chose the 10 inch/#8 skillet for comparison purposes. I probably should have chosen the #10 instead.
Lodge Blacklock: $60.00
Field Co: $125.00
Stargazer: $95.00
Butterpat: $295.00
Finex: $175.00
Smithey #8 Chef Skillet: $100
I didn't see a plain # 8 skillet for Smithey but still this should give a decent idea on pricing. Lodge is less than any of them but at the expense of a milled cooking surface.
While I know a rough surface will cook just the same as a smooth one, I prefer milled surfaces and would be willing to pay more for one. I think Either Stargazer or Field Co give the most value per dollar spent followed by Lodge then Smithey.

I chose the 10 inch/#8 skillet for comparison purposes. I probably should have chosen the #10 instead.

Lodge Blacklock: $60.00

Field Co: $125.00

Stargazer: $95.00

Butterpat: $295.00

Finex: $175.00

Smithey #8 Chef Skillet: $100

I didn't see a plain # 8 skillet for Smithey but still this should give a decent idea on pricing. Lodge is less than any of them but at the expense of a milled cooking surface.

While I know a rough surface will cook just the same as a smooth one, I prefer milled surfaces and would be willing to pay more for one. I think Either Stargazer or Field Co give the most value per dollar spent followed by Lodge then Smithey.

Smithey's #8 is an 8 inch skillet (#5). Their #10 is a 10 inch skillet (#8) at $160. Smithey is deceiving with their sizes.
Also Borough Furnace has a 10.5" at $300 and a 9" at $280.

Back