Restored Waffle Irons with Photos Show & Tell

Jeffrey R.

I am starting this thread for all the waffle irons out there that we need to rescue, and also to the ones that have been. They truly are a piece of art, and a lot of work to restore. I know that we all have seen some very unique waffle irons. If you would add only cleaned, and or seasoned so we all can see the waffle designs. If you are not sure if the base that you have is the original one for your paddles, please note that. Looking for original as we can do. Not a lot of info on some of the early pieces, but they are still in the market place. Please add any info.
No recipes please.

Thank you

Here are 2 of mine. Griswold, The New American #8 P/N # 976, and 977 with the low base.
I have 2 different irons, but are being cleaned.

gris%25252Cwaffle_9382.jpg

gris%25252Cwaffle_9383.jpg

gris%25252Cwaffle_9385.jpg

Sorry, my base is only seasoned.. This is the only complete waffle iron I own. I have another set of Griswold No.8 wire handle paddles I just dropped in the lye over the weekend, now I just need a base. I rarely see waffle irons for sale in the wild. The two that I have I picked up at the same thrift store. Have seen a few at antique stores for huge prices, and never at flea markets.

Was a pain to clean? Yes! Am I happy I did it? Yes! Would I do it again? Yes! How often will I use it? Probably never, I'm a pancake man!

Gris_Waffle_001.jpg

Gris_Waffle_002.jpg

Gris_Waffle_003.jpg

Gris_Waffle_004.jpg

Gris_Waffle_005.jpg

Your WI looks nice, is that the red hot sun in CA? The next WI base I do will be just seasoned.:icon_thumbsup:

Great job all of you. They look great. I just season my bases also and they work fine, especially when a little batter drips on them. We use ours a couple times a month. My son request "100 year old waffles" for breakfast.

I picked up a Gris WI set with a high base last month for $19. After 3 weeks in the e tank, and 1 round of seasoning I decided that the paddles were too far gone, but the base was great. I use the base now with my main set and it is so much more convenient on the gas stove.

Picked up some paddles at the thrift store a couple weeks ago. $7 Looked all over for the base, no dice. Just got them out of the lye and cleaned up. Annnnd not specializing in waffle irons I have questions for you waffleheads. :razz:

When someone purchased a waffle iron way back when. Were they sold with "optional" tall or short bases, or if you bought one you picked the model with the base you needed? BB page 90 shows it with a low base with a bail and no side handle. Anyone know the part number for this base?

Griswold American No.8 with 314B / 315A paddles.
Griswold-314-315-Waffle,medium_large.1457321003.jpg

This is only my second WI restore, and I'm kinda liking the challenge. Oh and.... You guys are doing great restoring yours, they look great!

Rick, FYI

I think the 314 and 315 came with resting pins at 4 o'clock. It appears on yours they have been ground off to fit another base so it would not be a match with the mentioned bases that have the pin indentations to hold it level. Not good if the pins were ground off as then there is no matching base. Check eBay.

Hilditch

I just saw the pin. Please ignore this post!

Hilditch

Last edited:
When someone purchased a waffle iron way back when. Were they sold with "optional" tall or short bases, or if you bought one you picked the model with the base you needed? BB page 90 shows it with a low base with a bail and no side handle. Anyone know the part number for this base?

Doug explains the differences between high and low bases in this tread:

https://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809

Cleared it up for me and makes perfect sense.

Doug explains the differences between high and low bases in this tread:

https://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809

Cleared it up for me and makes perfect sense.

The whole edge of the paddles dipping below the hole in the top of a wood burning stove makes perfect sense. Thanks for the link.

Sorry Jeffrey R. for partially hijacking your thread. :redface:

Everyone, please post more awesome waffle iron photos !!!

Has taken me most of the morning to figure out some of the in's & out's of IMGUR and with any luck my photos will visible from the below link. Note the lifting handle on the G.F. Filley. The metal seems to have been made of a different type (Malleable Iron) in order to insert the wood handle portion. There are no pins that would normally appear on wood handles of this sort thus the wood had to be inserted while the metal was hot enough to bend without breaking. I've cooked at least one batch in each of them but not enough to keep them from sticking plus it isn't easy to do on a glass top electric burner.

Back