cleaning, restoring or rescuing cast iron waffle iron

Scott, try not to make more out of this than is necessary. Unless it is going in a museum it does not have to look brand new. Give it a lye bath and if there is rust the e-tank. Leave those spots of carbon as they hurt nothing. I gave mine a quick coat of lard (heavier that this site likes), baked in the Weber & then the oven. It covers the carbon. A quick spray of oil and your cookin’.

Between the oil and the butter in the Grandma’s recipe below you will have good pure black seasoning in short order.

Hilditch

Finished my heart star. 3 Weeks in lye. then 1 hour in vinegar. soap and water, cleaned with coconut oil to get surface rust and nasties off. Then Seasoned with 3 coats of crisbee. Blister on finger from rolling q tips to take off excess seasoning but worked very well. Looks gorgeous. Cooked a nice batch of waffles over the weekend and they turned out perfect, no sticking. Don't know if it was worth the effort but sure proud of my work. Cleaning and seasoning anything else after this will be a cake walk. I attached photos. I have another plain #8 iron I am working on and the handles are chrome or silver or plated or the like. I have the handles looking pretty good, are there any tips for cleaning those and making them extra shiny? Thanks

Attachments

• P1150563.jpg
    P1150563.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 24
  • P1150562.jpg
    P1150562.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 25
  • P1150561.jpg
    P1150561.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 23
Back