Purchasing Online... Deciphering Photos

James_C

Hiya Folks,
I'm working on getting my collection together (personal use only) and really my only avenue for finding what I'm after is online. For most pans I see, they've been stripped/seasoned and I've been able to pick good items from bad so far. But when it comes to pans that haven't been cleaned, I struggle a bit with assessing them from photos. As an example, here is a link to an Ebay listing for a pan that has not been cleaned (just picked at random). This would be a prime candidate, at the right price, for me to clean up and season. But the photo of the bottom appears to be pitting to me. It could also just be a mess of burnt on crud from years of use. For those that purchase online primarily, how would you assess this pan?

Cheers,
cc

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 46
Given the time frame that particular pan was made and that the build up of crud would not likely be uneven and localized in that way, it is more likely to be pitted (99.999% likely, IMO).

Thank you Doug. i figured the same but just thought I'd better as those with a lot more experience!
Cheers.

Back