A New Toy

W. Hilditch

Many years ago I temperature tested various CI vessels with a meat thermometer and empty 22 shell casings to learn which cooked with the most even heat. With my recently acquired pot/cauldron, which I have been cooking all sorts of things in to get it seasoned, I stared wondering about heat loss away from the center hot spot. So I bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281297953785?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I realize that many of us here know from experience what this toy has to tell, but it is fun to see it confirmed in actual numbers. For those newer to CI cooking it can help them learn their vessels and the differences between manufacturers. Did you know that the side of a skillet closest to you can be 150° F less then the side farthest away? The cool air flows in from the front side. The true meaning of a hot spot comes to life when you see the center of a skillet is 550° and the outer edges are 200°. No wonder the hamburger in the center burned.

I’ve played with my new toy more than I thought I would confirming my water boils at 209° at this elevation (pasta takes longer to cook) and egg yolks are solid at 160°, etc. My 2 gallon pot takes a lo-o-o-ong time to heat up, but will bake a potato or two. The thermometer is a cool toy.

Hilditch

Infrared thermometers are some neat technology. Used them to check temps of motors, bearings, pumps, etc.

Hey Thanks! I've got one for home but I've been wanting one for our camper. It will be so good to check the skillet while on the fire. Thanks again!

W. I too have one. They work great but can fool you if your not careful. It reads the temp by reflecting the laser back to the sensor, if the color of the objects being compared is drastically different then the temp will read drastically different even if they are the same. So compare black to black and white to white.
I was really surprised at this difference.
Tony

PS: These work great for finding drafts in your house in the middle of winter, and cats love to chase the laser.

Last edited:
Tony, the one above adjusts for different materials/colors. Different settings for CI, aluminum, paint etc. I doubt it is accurate, but lets one get relative readings for ballpark information. They are neat for things other than cooking too. How are your trailer wheel bearings doing?

Hilditch

W. I finally got them done but haven't been fishing yet. My attention has turned to and is divided by mowing, building a privacy fence, getting my aquaponics system set up, planting my garden, mowing, getting my dog neutered, building a storage shed, mowing, starting my E tank, getting tires on my truck, and did I mention Mowing.
Retirement=Gotta love it
Tony:confused:

At this point feeding the lawn would just create more work.
I have started to work on an area dedicated to cleaning CI. I got an old propane storage cabinet like the ones where you exchange your BBQ bottles. The lower shelves hold the E tank, Lye, and Vinegar totes and buckets, and the top shelf is at a good height to put some elbow grease on a pan when scrubbing. I can keep all my rubber gloves, scrub pads, brushes in one place. Its well ventilated and I can lock the door to keep pets and kids out. I installed a light and an outlet for the battery charger. The nice thing is that it only takes up a 3'X4' area of my garage. I would like to find a gas kitchen stove to set next to it for seasoning, just to keep all that heat out of my house.
Tony

This can also be a good tool for learning a new CI skillet or griddle keeping in mind that the food will absorb quite a bit of heat until the food gets warm. I have a good size (21” x 13”) duel control electric griddle that cycles on within seconds of food hitting it. It’s best at 350° for French toast, 325° for bacon and 275° for eggs. By using this toy with your CI and using an electric griddle as a reference one can avoid starting to cook too soon or having the iron too hot until you get to know it.

Hilditch

Back