• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Lard biscuits recipe

EdP

...just like my late grandmother would bake. I made some over the weekend...oh the memories!

http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/mamas-buttermilk-biscuits/

Mama’s Buttermilk Biscuits

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 8 - 10

Mama’s Buttermilk Biscuits

Follow step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions for making these mouth watering Southern Buttermilk Biscuits. We're making them from scratch, just the way mama taught us years ago. Only three ingredients are needed and we do it all by hand without using a cutter. You can finally make biscuits you'll be proud to serve. Printable recipe included.

Ingredients

4 cups Self-Rising Flour, sifted
1 ½ cups Buttermilk
¼ cup Lard

Instructions

Preheat oven to 500ºF..
Lightly grease a baking pan or skillet with lard or butter.
Fill a sifter with flour, about 4 cups. Sift flour into a large wide bowl.
Make a well in the middle of the flour with your hand.
Add Lard
Add Buttermilk
Squish the lard and buttermilk together with your fingers until lard is in small clumps.
Place fingers straight down into the center of the bowl and start making small circles.
Continue to stir, in small circles, while gradually working in flour from the sides of the bowl.
You’ll work in most of the flour but probably not all it.
Sprinkle the dough ball with more flour and fold dough over on top of itself a time or two.
Knead the dough only a few times until it’s fairly smooth then shape into a rectangle.
Clean any dough off of your hands before proceeding.
Flour both hands prior to starting to shape and form the biscuits.
Use your fingers and pinch off a section of dough just a little larger than a golf ball.
Roll this ball in the palms of your hands to smooth it out using slightly firm pressure at first and then lighter pressure as it becomes a bit sticky again. Try not to over work the dough at this point.
Drop the ball back in the flour and coat lightly with flour.
Roll the ball in the palm of your hand another second or two and then flatten it like a hamburger patty.
Place the biscuit dough on your greased baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet.
Sides should be touching for a softer biscuit edge or separated one inch for a crispy edge.
Repeat the process until the dough is used up or your skillet is filled.
Use the back of your fingers and gently press down on each biscuit.
Place the pan of biscuits in the preheated oven and bake 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
Use caution because the pans are hot as you remove the baked biscuits from the oven.
Brush melted butter on top of each biscuit.
Cover the biscuits with a clean towel and let rest for a few minutes prior to serving.
Serve while still warm and Enjoy!

Word is in the early 20th century, using self-rising flour to make buttermilk biscuits in the South was punishable by death. Usually carried out by your mama with your daddy’s blessing.

Hilditch

Word is in the early 20th century, using self-rising flour to make buttermilk biscuits in the South was punishable by death. Usually carried out by your mama with your daddy’s blessing.

Hilditch

Yeah, I know. :chuckle: If my memory serves me, I think one of my grandmother's did bake them the old way; all purpose or plain flour, baking powder and salt. (???) Sometimes called "baking powder biscuits". The best baking powder biscuit recipe I've found yet is this one from King Arthur flour...using lard and baked them the same as the recipe above...lightly grease a big skillet with lard (I used that big #10 Wagner I found a couple of weeks ago) and into the oven >

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/baking-powder-biscuits-recipe :glutton:

When I got this recipe it started with 10 lbs. of flour, etc so I had to cut it down a bit. The soda is for the buttermilk. These will take you back to the wooden bread bowl days.

Bryson City Cathead Biscuits
(9)

2 ¼ cups flour (White Lily all purpose or other Southern soft wheat flour)
2 tsp baking powder 1/3 tsp baking soda
7/8 tsp salt 5 tbsp lard 1 cup fresh whole buttermilk (thick) Not Sealtest.

Preheat oven to 475° F (HOT)
In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients and then cut in the lard. Add buttermilk and make dough. With floured hands (The dough will be quite sticky so one needs a little extra flour to sprinkle on the dough and to coat the hands.), pinch off about the shape of a large egg and kneed a few seconds. Pat out to about ½ to ¾ “ thick and put on an ungreased baking sheet or cake pans. Square up the sides and let sit a few minutes.
Bake about ten minutes until starting to brown.
Makes 10 cathead sized biscuits.

½ recipe works for 2 people and makes 5 cathead or 7 normal round.

They can be baked in a Weber with an indirect fire - vents wide open, or a Dutch oven.

Hilditch

I forgot, serve hot and these need two dabs of butter!

Hilditch

"It's better to wait on the biscuits then to have the biscuits wait on you."

When I got this recipe it started with 10 lbs. of flour, etc so I had to cut it down a bit. The soda is for the buttermilk. These will take you back to the wooden bread bowl days.

Bryson City Cathead Biscuits
(9)

2 ¼ cups flour (White Lily all purpose or other Southern soft wheat flour)
2 tsp baking powder 1/3 tsp baking soda
7/8 tsp salt 5 tbsp lard 1 cup fresh whole buttermilk (thick) Not Sealtest.

Preheat oven to 475° F (HOT)
In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients and then cut in the lard. Add buttermilk and make dough. With floured hands (The dough will be quite sticky so one needs a little extra flour to sprinkle on the dough and to coat the hands.), pinch off about the shape of a large egg and kneed a few seconds. Pat out to about ½ to ¾ “ thick and put on an ungreased baking sheet or cake pans. Square up the sides and let sit a few minutes.
Bake about ten minutes until starting to brown.
Makes 10 cathead sized biscuits.

½ recipe works for 2 people and makes 5 cathead or 7 normal round.

They can be baked in a Weber with an indirect fire - vents wide open, or a Dutch oven.

Hilditch

I'll give 'em a try sometime. I still have my late grannie's wooden bowl. Don't use it anymore because it began to crack; mother had it cleaned and stained and shellacked to keep it preserved so now it is used as a display piece. Wooden bowls are expensive nowadays, so I just use am 8qt stainless steel bowl. :glutton:

EC_Price, I tried these last night. We had sausage gravy, biscuits, and scrambled eggs for supper. I gotta say this was my first ever attempt at baking biscuits and they turned out great. My wife loved them. Thanks for sharing.
Tony

EC_Price, I tried these out on my mom, stepdad, and sister yesterday. Everyone loved them. The first batch I made just like your recipe and they turned out great. The second batch I changed it up a little, I used chilled bacon grease instead of lard and added about a cup of bacon crumbles.
OMG! That's what I call eatin good.:glutton:
Thanks for sharing.
Tony

Just a thought for you guys and gals here about buttermilk recipes. Do any of you substitute soured milk. My mom has a old cake recipe from my great aunt that uses it and it was a very good cake from scratch. It has a dense chocolate fudge frosting :glutton:

Back