Martin Stove #10 Skillet

Scotty Reid

Hi new to the forum. Starting to collect martin stuff. Noticed this #10 has a strange mold mark on the underside of handle. It almost looks like a old screw. Anybody familiar with mark? Just curious before I spend the time to restore. Thanks, Scotty

Attachments

• 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 000_0004 (1).jpg
    000_0004 (1).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 52
If actually the head of a screw, there would be few reasons for it. In the (much later) era of automated mold-making, a pattern suspected of producing defects would have a screw driven into it to confirm which pieces it produced. In (much) earlier times, one might expect to see something like that if a pattern was broken and repaired, but you would think they'd have been a little more concerned than to leave it that apparent, not to mention that being an unlikely way to repair a break in that particular spot. If neither of those, it could be an unintentional impression made in the surface of the sand mold before the iron was poured, which would have resulted in a raised area on the casting.

Seems to me Ive seen thos before...once that is....just a skillet on Ebay, cant remember brand tho. Also, isnt a Martin #10 a semi rarity? Im probably wrong.

I wonder if it is an actual short steel screw that found it’s way into the sand mold sand or the mold itself just prior to pouring!

Birmingham Stove & Range did this a lot with their pans, but the screw head was beneath the size marker rather than on the handle.

Strawn talks about this in one of his Youtube videos.

Back