Sidney Rimmed Pot

KevinB

I got this at an auction over the weekend. Supposed to be a phone/facebook auction, but I was never able to get on it at auction time. I had placed a bid by phone before the auction. I thought I was placing a "high" bid, but I suspect they decided it was a starting bid. I likely ended up paying too much. I have been unable to find one like this online or in the CI books. All the ones I have seen are marked as Wagner. Nice shape except for a small crack in the rim right at the top of the picture of the bottom. I'm not sure why this has legs and a rim. Any ideas on relative value, age, and why it was made this way? I'm also not sure why my phone decides to randomly rotate pictures at times. Any help appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/zNPpoVm

Rimmed to set in a stove eye, footed because a round bottom doesn't sit flat. 1886-1897 are years of production given for SHWC. Probably later in that span given the marking style.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of these, at least from what I can tell from the reference books and the internet. I would think that there must have been a lot more labor to make one of these, than to make a flat bottom pot, or even one with just legs. Many, many years ago I spent a few weeks at a camp cooking on a wood stove. My feeling is that this would have been a complication that was just not needed. Neat idea though.

Back