New E-tank User

SteveT

Anyone with advice or insight to improve my "e-tank" please let me know. I set it up for the first time yesterday, and hope that this post will help to inform me, and other electrolysis newbies, how easy it is.

Overview:
DSCF3981%20-%20Copy_zpshih67tdj.jpg

Charger:
DSCF3982%20-%20Copy_zps21u0jqve.jpg

Before electrolysis, after Easy Off with Wapak #8:
DSCF3979%20-%20Copy_zpsfpxxrd4w.jpg

and
DSCF3980%20-%20Copy_zpsfgadeudf.jpg

Early lessons learned (I think):
1) ensure the charger is on 12v, if there's an option. Much faster hydrogen bubble production (compared to 6v, 2amp), I assume means faster rate of electrolysis.

2) THIS IS EASY!

3) Ensure that your tank is big enough. I'd like to have more of the handle in the electrolyte, but can't do that AND prevent the skillet from touching the sacrificial metal.

Looking forward to any suggestions,
Steve

You've got the basics covered. Get a larger/deeper container, wire up some more anodes, and you'll be happier with the results.

IMG_1577_zpsi2tou4to.jpg

Kevin, are your positive anodes wired in series? That looks like a great way to do all 4 sides, FAST!

Thanks for the hint,
Steve

I need to dig up some better anodes - the way you have yours done is awesome, Kevin!

Here are the results of running mine today. It was in the tank for a total of about 6 hours, but I had to move the iron around the anode, to keep line of site. Cleaning the exterior sides of the skillet was the most tricky part.

The black marks visible here are pits - not sure if they're left over from casting or caused by rust. I tend to think casting, but I'm willing to learn here.
DSCF3991_zpsqof7vsxq.jpg

Bottom surface, after tanking, washing and partially dry:
DSCF3989_zpsmqfkl4ju.jpg

What do you make of this, I found this on the side of the pan, after removing all the gunk:
DSCF3990_zps70jp6ext.jpg

Just a casting flaw on the side of the skillet. Nothing to worry about. Looks like you're doing pretty well with your e-tank to me.

Thanks, gents! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! The casting flaw was completely covered by gunk when I bought it...I knew the bottom was a bit rusty, and am relieved at the results. It's now seasoned and ready for a pound of bacon or sausage, likely tomorrow morning.

Steve

Back