Waffle iron heaven (or maybe hell)

MEValery

I was at a yard sale and they had a bucket of 4 various waffle irons. I could not make up my mind about which one to get, so I asked how much for all of them. He looked at me a little cockeyed and said $15. That was a good deal, but now I have to clean them all. Actually learn how to clean them first. Still reading all the previous posts.

Griswold slant No. 9 with high base 316,317,319, Alaskan handles
Griswold No. 8 low base 975A, no paddles
Wagner Ware 1408 low base
Puritan (Favorite made) No. 8, high base No. 88
Griswold No. 7 aluminum paddles, can't see the numbers.

Do the bases that seem to be painted go in a lye bath also?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 44
The bases aren't (or shouldn't be) painted. They are (or should be) japanned. I don't know if a lye bath affects it or not, but someone will.

Do the bases that seem to be painted go in a lye bath also?
Thanks

All for $15.00, you did very good, but you knew that.

The painted bases are most likely Japanned. If they are in poor shape, yes you can strip them in the lye tank and also the eTank. You will need to add some elbow grease. Then you can either season or re paint the bases. If you paint, you will need a high heat paint. I have done it both ways.

After you are done please post your work here.

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3369

You can see everyones hard work.

MEValery, you got an awesome deal. Those high bases are not cheap. Thanks for sharing, it is stories like this that keep me inspired to keep on hunting. :icon_thumbsup:

I started one Wagner paddle with electrolysis and tried the boiling water and tartar powder on the aluminum paddles. Those things, if they ever get clean are staying in the family or someone has to pay me hundreds for the effort.

Back