Latest Finds!

SpurgeonH

I learned a good lesson a few weeks ago. Instead of walking around an antique store and leaving empty-handed, I talked to the owner about what I was looking for. (It helped that it was a small shop and not a big antique mall.) Turned out the owner had some skillets out in his truck that he had not brought in yet. That day I picked up a Martin #7 skillet, a Martin #7 bacon fryer and a BSR Red Mountain #8.

Yesterday, I went back to the same place and asked him again, "You got any skillets other than the ones I saw back there?" ... Sure enough, he replied, "Yep, I have a few more in the truck that I haven't had a chance to put out yet." Boom goes the dynamite.

Here's what I left with. All of these were "out in the truck". I'm not sure what the one on the right is. Can't wait to take it out of the lye bath to find out!

https://imgur.com/a/wlCSn

Martin's version looks like a griddle with pour spouts. Here's a. Umber 8 on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/260321402/martin-stove-range-8-cast-iron-bacon

I thought I found the Griswold version a few weeks ago, but when I cleaned the crud off, it was an unmarked skillet. Can't remember where I saw the picture of the Griswold pan, maybe in the RB? I'll see if I can find it later tonight and post the page number, or a picture of it if I can find one online.

Adam, the Griswold skillet I was thinking about is called a "snack skillet" in the RB. No pour spouts. (Page 136). The Martin "Bacon Fryer" is found on Page 210.

It looks like the middle one might have a gate mark, or is that a shadow or something else? If so it's really old.

The one to the left might be a Vollrath. If the handles are the same, the one on the right might also be a Vollrath. Closer pictures of the handles would let me know. Great find.

Am curious to see what the one of the right turns out to be. Viewing the bottom, the long spine suggests a Vollrath or National. However the raised 7 on the handle in the top view has me stumped. My #3 Vollrath has a recessed number on the handle and my #9 National has no number on the handle.

Let's us know once it gets cleaned up.

The one on the right has a raised numeral on top of the handle, so neither Vollrath nor National. The one on the left has the word SIDNEY in large block letters partially exposed by some possibly injudicious scraping, so no Vollrath there, either.

Well, the first one out of the lye and into the e-tank was the one on the right. I was very curious about that one. I thought it looked like a certain #8 pictured on the left side of page 222 in the RB. I still think it does, but that only adds to my disappointment. The interior surface has issues. Small pinholes. And the iron has a lifeless look to it. It also has a small crack on the side.

The bottom has some pretty bad sulphur pitting. In the pictures you'll see what looks like two cracks in the bottom. These are casting flaws.

The exterior on the sides has some splotchy discoloration.

https://imgur.com/a/dYV03

Back