newbie question(s)

Serge_G

I started using Dutch Ovens a couple of years ago for camping (I never leave home without them). I thought I was taking care of my ovens, obviously I’m not. Recently the seasoning on my 12” Dutch Oven started flaking. It appears the seasoning is degrading. I saw a lot of videos regarding self-cleaning ovens to remove the seasoning and re-season. Well , I don’t have one of those self-cleaning oven but what I do have a barbeque that will bring temperature to 600°F. Is this a good method?
I’ve read about two methods : 1- Easy Off Oven cleaner and the plastic trash bag, 2- the electrolysis method, and then re season and forget the grill altogether. First, what did I do to cause the flaking, and what to do to avoid recurrence?
All my Dutch Ovens were factory seasoned, should I remove the factory seasoning or wait until it degrades?
This site offers a lot more information then another site I use to lurk! Any advice to take care of my flaky situation will be welcomed.
Thanks.

Pics are generally helpful, if we can see the issue you're talking about.

I wouldn't use high heat to strip personally, too much risk to warping or cracking.

Easy off works well, the yellow cap stuff contains lye - but it can be a slow process. Electro is best. Lye bath works wonders too, does the heavy lifting.

Here are some photo that were requested

Attachments

• flakybottom1.jpg
    flakybottom1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20150912_161225.jpg
    20150912_161225.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 41
Your options to clean it are really limited to lye or electrolysis. A SCO will de-temper the handle, rendering it malleable, and removing the handle without damage is unlikely. The BBQ temp probably won't be enough to remove it.

I found that getting a DO too hot on a full bed of red hot coals or using it to cook too many water based dishes can dry out the seasoning and make it flake.

I would not clean it. Scrape the loose stuff off, cook a mess of bacon in it and coat the whole thing lightly with bacon grease. Bake at 425° for an hour to get your seasoning going again.

In-between water based uses use it like a skillet to cook fat or oil based foods like hamburgers or grilled cheese sandwiches, fried chicken,etc. to maintain and build your seasoning. The flaking will stop. It will all smooth out in time.

The seasoning on a new piece is fine and won't degrade if not abused, just add to it with fats and oils. Lastly, don't over clean! Just enough to get food particles off.

Hilditch

Your options to clean it are really limited to lye or electrolysis. A SCO will de-temper the handle, rendering it malleable, and removing the handle without damage is unlikely. The BBQ temp probably won't be enough to remove it.

The SCO ? What is SCO?
Will de-temper the handle, you mean the bale, right? Replacements are only $5 , no worries here,

I found that getting a DO too hot on a full bed of red hot coals or using it to cook too many water based dishes can dry out the seasoning and make it flake.

I would not clean it. Scrape the loose stuff off, cook a mess of bacon in it and coat the whole thing lightly with bacon grease. Bake at 425° for an hour to get your seasoning going again.

In-between water based uses use it like a skillet to cook fat or oil based foods like hamburgers or grilled cheese sandwiches, fried chicken,etc. to maintain and build your seasoning. The flaking will stop. It will all smooth out in time.

The seasoning on a new piece is fine and won't degrade if not abused, just add to it with fats and oils. Lastly, don't over clean! Just enough to get food particles off.

Hilditch

Hilditch,

I'm also guilty of boiling water to loosen stuck foods, rice, pasta and things of that nature instead of using a wooden or plastic scraping tool. I'll even wet my corn broom and scrap the inside just like you see in a Chinese restaurant cleaning the wok. Is that a bad habit?

A few oz of hot water, a piece of loofah and a hot water rinse is all that is needed. It is hard to get the sides with a broom.

Hilditch

If that was my pot I would clean it with lye and start over. That looks like a pretty thick layer of crud on it. What is that notch in the rim? Does it have a lid that locks into the notch?

If I was seasoning that pot for somebody else I'd do the oven cleaner in a garbage bag method to clean it up real nice and then start all over. If it was my pot I'd do up a batch of Emeril's favorite cabbage with double the bacon and not worry about it.

If that was my pot I would clean it with lye and start over. That looks like a pretty thick layer of crud on it. Actually it's pretty light.
What is that notch in the rim? I'm not very familiar with this forum yet and I don't know if your anti-Camp Chef, but here goes! Almost all Dutch Ovens from Camp Chef have a notch on the rim of the oven and a matching groove on the lid to put a thermometer. Does it have a lid that locks into the notch?No, does not lock into anything.
---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 AM ----------
I like both ideas about cooking a mess of bacon and coating it with bacon grease, I don't know if I could handle Emeril's recipes but would cook the bacon anyway. After our last camping trip I'll do the Easy Off procedure.

I'm glad I joined this forum, it is a great place to get information on salvaging pieces of Americana, or in my case camping gear. I sure appreciate everyone input. You do realize that you converted me, after finding a 12" Lodge skillet at Goodwill yesterday, I must remove the rust and make it whole again. I'll be getting the stuff to make my first electrolysis bath, and take care of my skillet.
thanks again.

Serge_G

Back