Hello from southern California

J. Fisher

Long time lurker, finally decided to get an account!

I've been casually interested in CI for a while, but it wasn't until I picked up an unmarked Wagner that I really got hooked. For the last year and a half, I've rarely cooked with anything else. I purchased eight reasoned older #8's from a dealer for everyone in my family for christmas. They were a big hit!

I have a small collection of my own now, I get most of them for $5-10 at estate sales. I needed to do something with the 12 pieces I'd acquired, and decided it was time to take the plunge and strip and reseason them myself (reading these boards helped!). I chose to season them on the grill since it's too hot here to heat up the house, and used a crisbee stick.

Don't worry, I didn't season them right side up, this is just a picture in between rounds! They came out great.

Anyway- happy to find you guys. It's fun to see what everyone is finding out there and tap your expertise.

Fs7xn4Al.jpg

Hi, J Fisher, I agree with Bonnie! These pieces are looking great. Hope you like this site and the forums as much as I do. The amount of info. is amazing! S.

Are you the one in SoCal that's buying all of the cast iron before I can get there???!!!

Ok, I'm just teasing. I'm sure there's enough out there for the both of us.

Rick- I'm so impressed with everyone hauls here! I feel like most of the cast iron I find is not collectible and/or over priced.

I guess it's good I'm not finding pieces I want everywhere I go because my kitchen is too small. The hunt is still fun!

Rick- I'm so impressed with everyone hauls here! I feel like most of the cast iron I find is not collectible and/or over priced.

Patience. I've learned to walk away from pieces that are just too far gone, or too expensive. It's hard sometimes but it can be done.

I guess it's good I'm not finding pieces I want everywhere I go because my kitchen is too small. The hunt is still fun!

One bedroom apartment. These are mine. Where there's a will, there's a way. :icon_thumbsup: The hunt is absolutely the fun part.

Thanks Bonnie Scott, J. Fisher & Rick Hunter.

I didn't mean to steal J. Fisher's thunder, as he's got a nice collection started, and it looks like he's taking care of them.

I will just say, it's a labor of love. Something I'm interested in, trying to help educate others, and just plain having fun with. The hunt, the using & the community has been great.

No harm, no foul RickC! I was happy to see your album, and happy to start a conversation on this thread.

I've got a couple pieces in the lye bath now I'm excited to show you all. Soon!

Back