Japanning removal

RobM

Bought a James Smart waffle iron a few weeks back, the platters are finally clean but the base is only partially stripped of the japanning. How do I get rid of the rest of it? Lye just isn't cutting it.

Think there's more than japanning on it, the base has a crack in a coating, almost looks like it can be chiselled out. i'll have to post a pic later.

Last edited:
If you're thinking to buy a lot of ci you need an e tank.To me it is way cheaper than lye and works faster,you can rid carbon,rust,paint,gunk all on one shot.if you want something stronger,you can add lye to your e tank.

I have an e-tank using a computer PSU as a power source. Still prefer lye for the heavy lifting, then e-tank for the finish. Really don't care if it takes days or weeks.

I'm assuming it's japanning on the base, but electro doesn't seem to want to remove it either.

I'll have to dig through my docs and see, you could be right on ceramic coating. Much of the black is off, but there's definitely some kind of thick coating on the base.

I recently ran a Japanned ci pot through my e tank (water/NaC electrolyte) and it did a great job of removing it. Minimal scrubbing with a stainless steel pad finished it off.

Back