Taiwan - Any Thoughts?

D Amidon

A friend brought me 2 cast iron pans, as I have all of my friends keeping an eye open for them. I did not recognize either of them and 1 of them was clearly marked "10 1/2 INCH SKILLET" and "TAIWAN". As I thought that they were both imports, I threw them in the virtual corner. However, one day I picked up the other pan and started to clean it up when I noticed that it seemed a rather good quality pan, marked "Good Health". I searched and discovered that it was quite a nice find! Made by Griswold between 1920 and 1930.

So, now, I am curious about the other pan. It does not seem that good a quality, though much better than the Lodge crap produced today, and am pretty sure it was made post 1960. I would like to verify anything I can for this pan. Can't find much on the internet. Any help / comments would be appreciated.

I have posted pictures at this link. Thanks to All!

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtKkEg97lLEB7y9PYwu3W7noiQFz

I have a made in Taiwan sauce pan that I use all the time. Its very lightweight, has a wood handle, and has machine markings on the inside. I could care less that its not a "good" piece of CI, it works very well for what its made for.

Thanks. This does not have a wooden handle and I couldn't say it was light weight. As far as quality goes, it looks like it is a decent grade.

I am just trying to get any information on how to determine age and manufacturing data.

But, thanks for the input!

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Sean, just a follow up. You state that the one you have is lightweight. Is it cast iron or cast aluminum?

The one I have is CI....its just kinda light weight. Not like an old skillet, but still light. I got it at Goodwill, they had about 4 of them in different sizes, and I only bought one, now I wish I would have bought more.

I have a taiwan #6. We have had it for a long time. I can’t even remember where I picked it up. It has a surface as nice if not better than the rest of my Wagner’s and Griswolds. It is really heavy, but a good user. I don’t regret buying it.

I have two Taiwan pieces that are great, smooth as glass and not heavy at all. One is my designated egg skillet, use it daily to make scrambled eggs.

Back