Small CI pot

Got to spend yesterday with my wonderful wife. We hit 6 flee market, consignment, antique, Goodwill stores. I was surprised at the lack of CI cookware. I spotted this little pot hanging on the wall of the last store and thought if I cant find anything else then I will buy it, just so I don't go home empty handed. It is definitely a project. Rust, paint, motor oil, wrong bale. This is my first little pot and I'm not even sure what its called. Pot, Bean pot, Cauldron, Kettle.
No markings at all, No gate mark.
Here's a pic. I paid $6 for it mainly out of boredom, like I said its a project.
Tell me what you think.
Tony

Attachments

• WIN_20170123_06_04_59_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170123_06_04_59_Pro.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 56
I bought one like that, not knowing what it was at the time. It's a smelting pot. I wouldn't cook with it since it's likely it was used to melt lead in a former life. The one I have was made by the Chicago Specialty Mfg Co. My 12 YO son has been bugging me to melt something with it in the fire pit out back.

Mine just sits on the floor in the basement, waiting for me to get the urge to melt something over a campfire.

Tony, if you decide to clean it, I think I'd use the EasyOff and plastic bag method. I might be wrong, but I wouldn't want to put it in my lye tub or etank....

Hilditch, I had a great idea for it before reading about the lead possibility. I was thinking it would look cool sitting on the rack of my argentine grill filled with butter and a paint brush.
Donna, Your right I don't want the motor oil in my lye bucket.
I can't think of anyway to remove lead, so not going to use it for food.
I do need some door stops.
Tony

---------- Post added at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 AM ----------

Let me ask a "what if question" Because this is not a collectable or big money piece. With an eye toward making it "useable" for the above mentioned use. And keep in mind it is winter and I got time.
Would you use this to warm and spread butter on your grill if?
#1 I sand blasted about 1/16 if an inch of iron from the inside, then
#2 Heated it in a fire up to the point of damaging it to melt out any possible lead, then
#3 Season it like 10 - 20 times, and finally
#4 Use it at very low heat, just enough to melt butter.
Keep in mind it was a "possibility" of lead use, nothing for sure.
With all this in mind, would you eat grilled corn on the cob smeared with butter from this pot? Maybe a better question, Would you feed this to your family?
I'm thinking its a door stop.
Tony

Why take the chance? Especially when a brand new Lodge CI melting pot can be had for less than $15. Roughly the same size, but with pour spouts and a regular handle.

I'd clean it good with EasyOff & then fill it with vinegar. Check it every 6 hours until the acid is eating the cast iron. Then give it two or three heavy coats of lard seasoning baked at 480-500° and put it on the grill with butter. This isn't arsenic.

Hilditch

A solution of lye and hydrogen peroxide will dissolve lead. Jewelers and scrapers use it to remove lead solder from precious metals.

Don't mix peroxide and sodium hydroxide unless you know what you are doing. It can be a dangerous mixture.

Safety first.

Back