Changing Lye Solution

M_Osborne

I do all of my CI work outdoors and spring is just around the corner here in the Northeast.

Usually I dispose of last year's lye solution and start fresh in the spring. Is there a good reason to continue this practice? Last year I scaled up and now have my lye in a 30 gallon rubbermaid tote. Seems like a waste if it will continue to work.

Matt,
I'm still using last years solution without any issues. Unless you just want to change it or if it gives you a better feeling with fresh solution than do so. I keep mine covered at all times to lessen vaporization thus not having to add fresh water and continuously diluting the solution. I also keep it where the sun can warm it which will speed up the process when the solution is warmer.
Good luck and hope for warmer weather.

I cannot think of a good reason to change out the solution. Save yourself some time and little money, use it til the skillets won't sink anymore. :)

As long as the crud continues to soften and slough off, it's working, no matter how black it has become.

I changed my lye tank last week to fresh clean water and I don't like it. I like being able to see where the lye drips. I will be glad when it gets dirty again so I can see it if it splashes on me.

Matt,
I'm still using last years solution without any issues. Unless you just want to change it or if it gives you a better feeling with fresh solution than do so. I keep mine covered at all times to lessen vaporization thus not having to add fresh water and continuously diluting the solution. I also keep it where the sun can warm it which will speed up the process when the solution is warmer.
Good luck and hope for warmer weather.

I'm a bit late to this thread (been away, catching up). Anyway, does the lye itself evaporate? I would assume that water would evaporate and need to be replaced over time, but the lye concentration would still be there.

Water could evaporate, making the solution stronger, but seeing as the container really needs to be tightly covered from a safety standpoint, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

The lye itself does not evaporate, but over time and through the process of saponification (the reaction of the lye plus the fat - it's how soap is made) it becomes weaker since there is less of it to react.

Thank you both for the clarification...that helps. I have yet to set up a lye tank, but it's in the back of my mind and I like the details.

Back