Is This Kettle/cauldron Too Far Gone, or Can It Be Restored? Is It Even Worth It?

Hello everyone! I'm very new to the forums and a bit new to restoring cast iron, as well.

My husband and I have wanted a nice large kettle for some time, and I found one that piqued my interest at a nearby antique mall, but it needs a lot of work.

Here are a few photos of the piece:
http://imgur.com/gallery/cxcmsdQ

I have a couple concerns about it before I go back and buy it.

1) It's priced at a hundred bucks! I like it very much, but I don't know that it's worth $100. Not only does it need a lot of attention, one of the feet has been cut off about halfway up. So I'll need to cut the other two feet to match if I want it to stand up properly.

2) I'm a little concerned that I may not have the experience or skills yet to restore something from this level. So even if it is worth it, monetarily, it might not be a good idea for me to take on a job like this, at this point.

If it is worth it to try it out, could this be accomplished without an e-tank? I've only used lye and then vinegar baths so far. I don't have the setup to try electrolysis yet, and to be honest it's kind of intimidating to me.

Thanks in advance for any input, tips, etc. This is my first post here, but you all have already been such a help to me as a lurker for the past few months!

I personally would pass on it and try for a piece that #1) has less rust and pitting. #2) has all 3 feet that are of equal length. The price seems high for a piece that has one broken foot and visual rust pitting.
It can be restored without having to use an e-tank. In our dropdowns you can go to Stripping & Cleaning and under this you will find the topic for cleaning with Molasses. It is not a quick method but effective for rust removal.
Thanks for your post and good luck with you project should you elect to buy it.

You could do a reverse e-tank, using the cauldron as the tank and placing your metal suspended in the solution. It will clean the inside at least.

It looks like there might be small holes in it, white specks that I see.

Thank you so much for y'all's input! I might try offering the booth owner half or so, citing the issues with the piece, like Ed suggested. Just because I kind of want to give it a go haha. I'll definitely check it more closely for any actual holes first, though. I didn't think there were any, but to be honest I didn't inspect it terribly closely at first.

I haven't tried molasses for rust before, but I did think this would need something more robust than vinegar if I was going to attempt it. I'll keep that in mind!

Thanks everyone!

I myself would pass. It has some serious rust and pitting. I was over zealous when I started collecting and bought a bulge pot, and two old spider legged skillets that holes showed up when all the rust came off.

The broken leg puts it in do not buy for me. The owner is dreaming. If you wait another will come along. If you can pick it up for $25 maybe. Explain to owner it's rusty, broken and fit only as a planter. You won't spend more than $25 for a planter.

Let's bear in mind this thread is nearly two years old and was the last time the OP visited. Please take into consideration when viewing old dormant threads.

Back