Old Octagon Skillet. Info?

TDBiles

Yesterday, almost pulled the trigger on this old octagon skillet, just because it's the only one that I've seen (I believe Finex makes new ones). At $50.00 I was gun shy. Does anyone know anything about these octagon shaped skillets?

Happy Memorial Day!!! Got the smoker thumping!

Hey Doug,

The Finex article is interesting. I've added some "after cleaning" pictures to the album.

The skillet is ~18-inches long with the handle, without the handle ~11-inches. There appears to possibly be side gate markings on two of the sides. The cooking surface is smooth, and there's the full inset heat-ring. Thinking that maybe the fore mentioned might make this skillet Octagon before Octagon was cool (Finex).

Young or old, it'll get seasoned and put to use.
Thanks

Just added three additional pictures that shows the handle is slightly raised. To me this is another indicator that this is an older skillet. I believe this skillet definitely pre-dates Finex. I wonder if Finex copied this or possibly didn't perform a patent search themselves? To me it's interesting.

It could very well pre-date Finex, but I still don't see it as being all that old. Atypical shape, atypical handle (upward-angled or not), inset heat ring and side-gated all seem at least mid-20th century or later.

I agree with the pan not being particularly old. It would be interesting to send your before and after photos to Finex and see if they have a comment. They may think that they are the first to market with an octagon skillet.

Back