Erie #9 Skillet

CPorter

This one has me scratching my head a bit, picked it up at a flea market last week for 15 bucks. It has the scooped handle which according the the Erie Skillets pdf that i read through yesterday, thanks Steve, indicates that it is a first series. The scooped handle skillet in the RB page 128 has tiny lettering compared to this one and the E.S. pdf says the first series doesnt have makers marks so I'm guessing the D is a mold identifier? This skillet is not warped completely flat and no chips just a bit of pitting, pretty good shape for the year i think. Just need some help confirming which series and help with a value since I don't see an identical skillet in the books. Thanks.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114772661409714296598/CPorter#6019006455363554978

https://picasaweb.google.com/114772661409714296598/CPorter#6019006468883935826

Last edited:
Where is the "D"? I don't see it. That is a 1st series "scoop" handle. The outside heat ring Erie shown in the red and blue books looks like a 3rd series without a MM.

The D is just below the R. I may have to get a better picture when it comes out of the electro tank, it's not very clear in the photo but in person its very clearly a D

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

It is closest to the #11 on pg 15 BB which somehow I missed when looking the first time, thanks, but they give no values to sizes other than 11. What would your quess be?

That #11 is a 1st series.

I see what you're saying under the R. There are 2nd and 3rd series #9 Erie seen with a D MM around that position. Perhaps this is a "1.5".

I have not read about a 1.5, is it something you have seen before? with no comparables am I lost when putting a value on it? Thank you for your insight.

I just made up the term "1.5" as a way to describe a pan having characteristics of both a 1st and a 2nd. It might be worth more than a 1st or a 2nd to an avid Erie collector, but I don't think any series of the outside heat ring versions (in the same condition) commands any higher prices than another. It's the more rare sizes that do.

I do use most of my ci cookware with the exception of pieces with original labels. Thats what attracted me the most to vintage ci is having a usable piece of history. I also trial all my new stuff because i like to get an idea of how different manufacturers perform, my favorites as of now are my #11 erie #9 national and #8 large block griswold. I look forward to trying many more.

Back