Griswold (32) p/n/962 Danish Cake Pan

MDFraley

A few weeks back I posted some stuff I picked up on a road trip to West Texas. Among those pieces was a Griswold 32 p/n 962 Danish Cake Pan/Egg Poacher/Aebelskiver piece. It was rusty somewhat and not pitted and today I removed it from my etank after a 12 hour session and amazingly with a little elbow grease and the aid of some 000 steel wool it looks pretty good.
One twist to my cleaning method was the aid of an electric drill ( hold on ) with a wire brush cup where as I put the steel wool in the cavity of the poacher and then set the wire cup on top of the steel wool and used the drill power to work the steel wool instead of my fingers doing it. The wire brush grabs the steel easily and the steel wool acts as a buffer to keep the wires from scratching the CI surface. This obviously will work on a recessed rounded cup as the egg poacher so I do not recommend it for any other CI surfaces such as flat or sharp angled surfaces.
Here's the results.

http://imgur.com/a/lmnLY

I do that on muffin pans with a SS Chore Boy and a paint mixer drill attachment similar to this:

Great idea. I have found thru experimenting that it is very difficult to even punch a screw driver thru the steel wool. The mesh is so finely woven that is almost like a bullet proof vest. Think there's short cuts to some of our cleaning methods when used with proper precautions.

Just using a plastic ended instrument to get my Chore Boy where my fingers can't effectively. Doesn't need high RPMs.

I was just razzing Michael. I think it's a good idea. Just last week I got a piece of steel wool embedded in my thumb and it hurt for a few days until I got it out. Anything that saves wear and tear on my hands is good with me. I think I will try this on my Mortar tomorrow.

Last edited:
Bonnie... I would use a long shank cup brush or try DougD's paint stir method on that deep motar. Be careful not to let the drill chuck touch the sides or it may very well leave a scratch mark.

Back