Griswold #272 corn/wheat pan that I got at the auction

D_Madden

I'm slowly getting pictures of everything. This didn't look that bad but the seasoning was very old and it had sat collecting dust for a while and wasn't cleaning up the way I wanted... so I stripped it. These pics are after stripping. Haven't seasoned her yet.

http://imgur.com/a/x5Lll

I have seven (7) of the Griswold Corn/Wheat pans and love them all. Never have figured out why they label the Merit, Puritan and Best Made pans as "Wheat Pans" only when they have the same pattern as the other Griswold pans.
A little tip on seasoning those type pans. I have found if you use a soft bristle tooth brush to adequately cover all the little wheat designs you will get a more even season. It also helps to pre heat the seasoning oil and then turn the pan upside down over several paper towels for about an hour before wiping them clean prior to the oven. It will lessen the pooling in those crevices and give you a better chance of the batter not sticking the first time you use it.

Michael, does a fluid oil work better than Crisco when it comes to wiping out all the crevices? I have been using Crisco on pans but perhaps should use oil on one with crevices--what do you think?

I've been using Grapeseed oil for going on almost two years and have no complaints what so ever. I use to buy the liquid Grapeseed but I've switched to the spray can that has no CFC's, zero trans fat, no cholesterol, no preservatives, gluten free and it's non-allergenic. That's pretty much 100% pure. I think Crisco comes in liquid form but if your using the paste type and are happy with it I suggest heating up in a pan and apply with whatever means you currently use.

I have seven (7) of the Griswold Corn/Wheat pans and love them all. Never have figured out why they label the Merit, Puritan and Best Made pans as "Wheat Pans" only when they have the same pattern as the other Griswold pans.
A little tip on seasoning those type pans. I have found if you use a soft bristle tooth brush to adequately cover all the little wheat designs you will get a more even season. It also helps to pre heat the seasoning oil and then turn the pan upside down over several paper towels for about an hour before wiping them clean prior to the oven. It will lessen the pooling in those crevices and give you a better chance of the batter not sticking the first time you use it.

Thanks for the tips... I was wondering about seasoning it.

i also appreciate the tips, i been putting off seasoning my BSR cornstick pan because i was afraid of the crevices

Pressing the same folded terry towel I use to wipe excess oil off smooth surfaces into the kernel detail usually works fine to soak it up for me.

Pressing the same folded terry towel I use to wipe excess oil off smooth surfaces into the kernel detail usually works fine to soak it up for me.

I agree. I have a couple of terry cloth towels that seem to be a little "terrier" than the others. I make sure those are the ones I use whenever I have a pan with lots of tiny spaces to get in to.

I use a silicone basting brush. The first time I used it, I felt like it might have left a little silicone coating on the pan (the oil seemed to bead up on the second coat). I solved that problem by putting the Crisco on at a slightly lower temp.

Back