Clean Like New

MDFraley

Four days ago I posted a thread in General Cast Iron regarding a bunch of cruddy rusty iron that I picked up in West Texas. Here are the results of three of those old skillets that were headed for the scrap yard had I not rescued them. There are two WW pieces and one Favorite Piqua Ware pieces. The #6 is prior to 1960, the #5 is a stylized logo w/ four digits from 1935-1959 and the #3 between 1916-1934. None real valuable but certainly gave me a good feeling to salvage them.
http://imgur.com/a/zh8Kt

Wow, they came out great. Hard to believe that under that much crud, there doesn't appear to be any pitting.

Thanks Jody. The #3 Piqua Ware had an excess amount of rust on the bottom side, you can see in the second picture, and I initially thought it was badly pitted . It actually wasn't very bad. These were not put in the e-tank but only soaked in the lye bath and manually scrubbed with steel wool. Cooking surfaces on all three are as smooth as a baby's butt with no pitting anywhere.
I think Bonnie was hoping that #5 was going to turn out to be something other than what it is. But it's like she said....when these things are that badly covered with crud it's like playing the lottery until you get them cleaned.

I think you won the lottery on that purchase. Maybe not the mega millions but you sure got your money back and then some. :chuckle:

Yep, still looking good. Wish I had a set-up, that would do that !

Nick...No special equipment. If you read my reply to Jody I mentioned that the pans were soaked in the lye solution for several days and manually scrubbed with steel wool (size 000). We all use the same method just a labor of love for the pans.

Back