Sad Iron Heater or Oblong Griddle ?

Pat_A

Could be either, but the bail handle has me confused. Any ideas ?

The bottom is very primitive looking:

Wow! Could you make the picture any larger??? Appears to be a bailed griddle.

Sorry, I reduced the picture. What time period would you say this is from (18th, 19th, 20th Century) ? Are these utilized these days, or just used as decorations in a Colonial-era home ?

Where might I find more information on this style of cast iron griddle ? Anyone have an idea ? I searched the main page of this website and did not find anything specifically on bailed griddles.

This piece measures 16.5" x 8.75" and appears to have a gate mark and several foundry milling marks on the bottom. The cooking surface is decent but does have the "touched by time" appearance.

The bail would only have facilitated removal and replacement on a stovetop, as the design would not appear to be stable for use hanging over a fire. Items like this were often produced by stove and range companies to be included as accessories to their wood stoves, hence the lack of trademarking. The bottom gating is consistent with 19th century technology, the era of wood or coal fired cast iron cook stove production and popularity.

Back