Saturday Auction 12/9/17

JeffreyL

Went to an auction Saturday on advice from a good friend who keeps an eye out for iron for me, and I'm glad I did!
This was the first time I have ever bid myself at an auction, I think I did just fine. Only thing I didn't get that I wanted was a griswold 1288 large logo lid, I ran a lady up to $45 and I stopped as I believe she came just for that as she didn't buy or bid on anything else. My total came to $66! I think I got some good deals-
Griswold #8 LBL EPA 608 griddle - $20
Griswold #8 SBL long griddle - $2.50
"Wagner" Sidney O high arch #10 - $17.50
BSR Century #10 - $10
Fancy handle #8 w/single pour spout - $2.00
CHF(?) hammered #5 - $2.00
Then the rest I bought in groups totaling $12.00 which makes them $2.50/each
Victor #8 722
WW styled #3 1053
2- BSR red Mtn/Century sm spout #3
Unmarked Wagner #5
Gunky #5 that appears Wagner
CHF #5 in diamond
And lastly another hammered pan, #8 that I knew was warped, but didn't know it was in the lots I was buying, and after I got it home saw that it's cracked, oh well, at least the crack and the warp were on the same pan!
I could tell bidders, nor the auctioneers knew iron, as I seen a lot of people doing the flip looking for big bright logos. Heard lots of "no logo" comments, except they were missing logos filled with gunk, oh well better for me!
I think I had a good day.
https://imgur.com/a/EBRHS

Well it's usually me sitting on the sidelines thinking everyone else has all the luck, but Saturday I had a day!

your gate-marked 'fancy handle' pan looks interesting. does it have a heat ring or is it smooth? usually the gate-marked pans have an inset heat ring... and a very pronounced heat ring at that... also, they usually have a very pronounced spout... yours almost looks like it doesn't have any spout... very unusual.

also I like the victor. that was one of the first pans I ever bought.

D_Madden- I love fancy handles and raised numbers so this is the pan that originally caught my eye in the listing. I originally thought it to be a no-pour spout, but after getting to the sale I seen it had a very shallow single. No heat ring, has a flat bottom. Pan is very thin and doesn't appear to have any cracks, fingers crossed during cleanup. It doesn't spin but does rock just a bit on the gate mark. Here's a few more pics. I too also like Victors, we must have the same taste in pans! The very first pan I found in my first cast iron hunt was a pan so rusty I couldn't tell what it was, it turned out to be a Victor 722, turned out to be a great pan!
https://imgur.com/a/HkRIw

that pan has a very unusual combination of characteristics. post pics when you get it all cleaned up.

I have had great luck at auctions myself. I picked up a Wagner square chicken fryer with lid for 60 bucks at a auction

Back