Erie No 22 Variation 954

GTurner

I just purchased an Erie no 22 p/n 954. It has the 954 on the 7th row and 'Erie No 22' on each handle. There is a hole in one of the handles and it goes through the 'o' in the 'No'. Which variation would this be? I also have another 22 that was stated to be the most common variation that has Griswold on it.

It has not arrived yet, so sorry no pictures just yet.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Type "pre griawold Erie no 22 bread stick pan cast iron pan" in eBay completed items to show the posting. Typo is suppose to be there. I misspelled Griswold on purpose. It isn't the item currently listed.

It also states that there are two raised stars on the bottom of the breadstick pan at the 2nd and 10th stick.

sounds like a variation 5 (that someone drilled a hanging hole into).
I don't see any variations that have only 1 hanging hole... they either have no hanging hole or two hanging holes (one on each end).

variation 5 has 954 on it, and raised erie no 22 on both handles... but no hanging hole.

variations 6, 7 and 8 are similar but also have the pattern number 8022 on one of the sticks, in addition to the 954.

variation 9 has only the 954, but has holes in both ends but only raised no 22 on one end, not both.

from the prices in the yellow book it doesn't appear that any variation of the no 22 pan is 'valuable'. nothing more than $60-80

Thanks. I purchase to use not sell, but it is nice to know the value of the items. The value would more than likely be less if a hole was drilled into it.

Are the stars makers marks?

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Also, do you know the year range for the variation 5?

the yellow book doesn't mention anything about 'molders marks' on any... it does say a couple of the early No 22 pans have both pattern numbers and gate marks... which is unusual for any known griswold items. Would probably need to see pics of the stars to help decide. molder's marks (at least for griswold) weren't usually raised. sounds interesting.

Griswold does not appear to have relied on molder's marks, raised because they are from indentations made in the sand mold cavities by the foundrymen. Maker's marks were incised, and identified the maker of the pattern.

Back