Dumb waffle iron question

I snagged a nice (other than the lack of handles) Puritan low base waffle iron a while back and wonder if the base and iron should be placed over the electric burner (poor heat conduction) or, if the iron should just be set on the burner.

I suppose its sort of an invalid question since when it was made stoves were different. Also, the sockets the handles go in meet the stovetop before the iron rests on the burner.

Waffles are complicated. ;)
Maybe I should stick to the proven perfect pancakes on the unknown griddle that got me started with CI... I've never been able to ID the griddle.

Hilditch is the one to ask this question to. I believe he said once that you need a high base to use on an electric range. I would assume that a low base is too close and will burn the waffle before it's done in the center.

I use my low base on electric coil top. Works very well for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 29
I don't think it is good to put the irons directly on the burner. One needs to use a base. Gas or electric I'm for a high base for the ease of one hand cooking flipping the irons over. Handles help a whole lot.

Hilditch

I agree on not using the iron directly on the eye. I have high and low base and don't have a problem with either one. Have a couple of the old flip type without handles on the paddles that are a little challenging but I do make waffles with them. This is a #6 Isaac A Sheppard & Co.

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 30
I don't think it is good to put the irons directly on the burner. One needs to use a base. Gas or electric I'm for a high base for the ease of one hand cooking flipping the irons over. Handles help a whole lot.

Hilditch

Hilditch is the reason I found a high base before starting my waffle career. Glad I did, easy to use. My only pointer to you is get that thing HOT before putting batter on. I have 1 coat of seasoning and the waffle never sticks a bit as long as I spray it and get it hot to start

My WI came with a low base and works fine. A couple weeks ago, I came across an orphaned high base at a good price. I will admit, the high base is much easier to use. No lifting of the paddles before rotation.

Both bases work well as far as heat on my gas stove.

Thanks for the replies. Once I figure out the handles, I'll try it on the base...
I have an old iron lathe to tune in order to make handles.

Back