Notched Heat Ring...

DanW

Hey All,

Who knows which manufacturers, if there were any besides Lodge, that put notches in the heat rings...???

TIA

DanW

Dan...If you go to our CIC main page (More Cast Metal Ware), (Unusual Items), The very first picture BSR shows a Century piece that has a very unusual heat ring pattern. How many of these were made I have no idea. Have not seen one in the wild nor on e-Bay.

I have one of those BSRs. No pics of it right now. Wagner also made one similar to that, but f course, they aren't notched like a Lodge. Will try to remember to get a pic tomorrow.

DanW is probably really confused at this point from the simple question he ask.
Come to find out it isn't such a simple question. Steve Stevens was involved with the same question about Maid of Honor skillets years ago and there is a post on WAGS where it was discussed. It was about an aluminum piece that had the MOH logo on it and their research came up with West Bend Aluminum as the maker for it. Further reading indicates that Sears probably farmed out the cast iron MOH to almost all the major cast iron mfg.'s. at that time including BSR, Wagner, Griswold Favorite etc. Strange thing is the #3 MOH has an inset heat ring (4 notches) and the #8 has an outside heat ring (4 notches) which wasn't consistent w/ Lodge. I re-examined my stash of C.I. and found a couple more to add to the "notch list" (AXFORD Broiler-single notch @ 12:00 pos. & my Cahill chicken fryer-single notch @ 12:00 pos.
On P225 of the RB it shows the AXFORD Broiler & the MOH skillets in the Lodge section so who really knows? I know the Cahill was made in Tenn. (not too far from Lodge), so it could very well be they copied Lodge in that aspect.
Long story short....I wasn't calling you out on the MOH maker but just referring to what little facts that were published about it.
Regards,
MD

Thanks for all the replies...I recently saw a 4 notch CI Skillet with the German translation for Cast Iron (Gusseisen CA) on the bottom. Do any of you know if it is German or something other (Asian)...? It also had the size in 'cm' on the bottom...Thanks

Happy to have been directed to this conversation as I was just asking about notches in another forum. I am thinking and correct me if I am wrong, if the pan is unmarked and has one, two or three notches in the heat ring it is a Lodge product. Also while I am asking questions, does the amount of notches effect value?

Back