Unusual Seasoning Issue

LBoone

I just joined the forum but have been using cast iron since a wee lad in scouts. I recently purchased a deep “bean” pot (I am thinking it is BSR as it has FBP with a D stamped under the lid and 8-D on the bottom of the pot) It was very clean when I got it and appeared to have been stripped well with a bit of oil applied. (no seasoning layer) I washed it thoroughly with water and a small tad of soap (on time it will see that) just for the comfort factor in case the previous owner used it for say, boiling deer skulls… Anyway, I am on my 4th round of seasoning (in line with the Crisco method recommended in this forum) And this sucker just DRINKS up the Crisco every time… when I try and wipe out the excess I hardly see any on the towel. Looking at the very few other posts I find here or anywhere on the net I can certainly rule out that it is not “pooling” or appearing to soak in, It’s drinkin oil like my old ’87 Bronco use to do. It does not appear to have any reddish fire damage- I have seen a hint that “thirsty iron” is a result of that but no one ever details out what that means exactly or what happens to cause it and if there are any solutions. I would not want to cook chili in the pot only to have chili residue seep into the pot and continually leech out into future meals. I keep hoping that the next application will be the one that sees the Crisco finally shining on the surface. Thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:
I do believe your frustration level has surfaced in the title. I don’t buy into the new oil used in Crisco or the wipe all of it off philosophy. I would coat it with a thin coating of lard and bake it upside down in a 475° F oven for an hour letting it cool in the oven. Then I would turn it upright and WITHOUT more lard bake it again. This followed by a batch or two of popcorn in canola and couple of messes of bacon and then cook on.

This is what I did with my round bottomed kettle and it is very happy.

Hilditch

I've only experienced this issue a couple of times and it has been on rust pitted iron that probably wasn't worth the time to try and manually season anyway. The use of Crisco and turning the piece upside down are not without merit, especially if one doesn't want to really stink up the house (Crisco is a highly refined fat) or to have sticky spots and runny lines of seasoning (largely a cosmetic issue). Unless you already have lard (which I have never bothered nor seen the need to use), canola or refined grapeseed would also do just fine. The suggestion to pop popcorn might just be the ticket here, though. You have a lid and it shouldn't leave an objectionable tasting residue.

Thanks guys, I got to round 7 and it is finally leaving a sheen all over once coated and not visually sucking in the oil; so one more round for good measure and I think we are set for its first time with grub. I agree that a good oily something or other would be a great choice. Thanks again.
By the way, stink up the house indeed... my wife left to go to a winery with friends for a few hours so I dove right into seasoning. (She hates the smell) She came back early and I got a few frowns but... you gotta do what ya gotta do. So I kept on seasonin. It may be the couch for me tonight...

Last edited:
Back