Help with waffle handles

With the head of the rivet resting on a steel bar I would center punch the peened end of the rivet and drill the peened part off. Grinding it off could scratch the CI. Remove the rivet & use to buy replacement rivets. Remove the handles, lye bath, e bath, season and then replace the handles. The rivets are fairly soft so they will drill and peen easily.

MD will hopefully chime in on this one.

Hilditch

These rivets are known to have been successfully removed by backing them out with a punch applied to the non-peened end. Many, however, opt to not tempt fate and work around cleaning and seasoning without removing the handles.

M Osborne
Favorite didn't do any favors when it come to restoring their WI's. Your piece appears to have a little more rust on it then what mine did. The top side of the pin resembles a round head screw without the slot but if you look at the bottom side it is almost flush with the handle without any protrusion.
From the bottom side you can use a center punch and remove the pin. My suggestion is to just get it started and find yourself a nail about the same size of the pin and use that to further remove the pin completely. Make sure to support each side of the metal handle while removing the pin. I've attached a photo showing the top side of the pin that has the raised portion but the underside is where you want to knock the pin out.
Good luck.....
http://imgur.com/7BwUbHL

You have to wonder sometimes what the designers of certain pieces were thinking of; usually not user convenience.

But hey, with not too much effort, you've got a great looking piece there. I'd gladly take care of those handles for you…I'm looking at a square Griswold 11 WI (slant logo model), but at $100.00 it's a little pricey for me.

Nice find and looking forward to seeing the finished product on the WI thread that JeffR started.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Waffle irons are never easy and this one promises to be a bit more complicated.

I will take a shot at removing the rivets using the methods discussed here. As always I appreciate the help and will post pictures of the final product.

Matt

Be happy you have handles. :)
My puritan had rivets and little stumps. I lightly ground on the peened end and tapped the rivets out. After seasoning I can't see any hint that I ground on things. Still no handled though...

Back