Is the red book worth it if you already own the blue book?

NLevine

Hello,

I recently bought the "Blue Book" and i'm very happy about it. I learned a ton and often refer to it while hunting for CI.

I was looking at the red book online and wondering if it's worth adding to my collection or is there too much overlap with the blue book? Is there a different vintage cast iron book that you would suggest instead of the red book?

Thanks!

The usual thinking is if you're only going to get one or get one and then the other later is to get the BB. The RB does have overlap but covers Wagner more fully than the BB. Plus you get the info on the other makers not covered in the BB. In both books, the info on other makers is nominal, but can be of help. Although not revised in quite some time, the BB and RB are still the most recent and best CI guides available. I do have what's called the Harned book on Griswold, but it's long out of print and the photos aren't very good.

Thanks Doug, sounds like the RB would be worthwhile. Out of curiosity, is this the Harned book of Griswold book you have?

Attachments

• harned  book.jpg
    harned book.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 33
Back