Cooking Pork Chops

W. Hilditch

Pork chops are one of the foods that are best cooked in cast iron. If you have had one cooked in teflon you know what I mean.

Now, getting the right pork chops is next. Getting ones sliced like minute steaks (most of us remember them) won’t do. If you get the right pork chops they will:

Stand up;

And have a large piece of tenderloin like these:

Overcooking these is a sin. 160° max + rest. Enjoy.

Hilditch

I knew better, I knew not to open this thread. But no, I could do it and it won't affect me. Yeah right, now I got to go cook something. :D

I'll be right over.

Scott

Kevin & Justin, I understand. I too have had overcooked 1” chops that were tough and lacked flavor and was happier with 1/2” chops that were tender (?) and loaded with flavor.

Now think about a perfectly cooked tender juicy pork roast with every bite having the seared flavor of a correctly spiced pork chop. No flour required as the flavor stays liquid in the meat until it is in your mouth.

All ya’ll just haven’t had my pork chops.

Hilditch

I will go with the thicker chop every time other than frying them.

Try brining the pork. Moist and tender for a thicker cut of meat.

Hey, Scott, we are located between you and Hilditch, so do pick me up on the way by.:chuckle: Agree that thick pork chops, done right, are good. Grew up eating overcooked pork, so can eat piggy about any way--prefer the methods of Hilditch, et al. Am always happy to see suggestions for cooking technique. Time for lunch...

Will do Sharon! I need to tell you all that I grew up eating pork chops (the thin kind) cooked to shoe leather. The problem is is that I like 'em that way. I also like beef jerky too! I don't know if your likes and dislikes are environmental or nurtured but I lean on the nurtured side.

Scott

Look for heritage pork if you can find it. Berkshire, Tamworth, Gloucester Old Spot, anything that hasn't had all the fat bred out of them by the "Other White Meat" campaign. The most awesome pork I've had is one that I'll probably never be able to find again... Ossabaw Island hogs (from Georgia, Hilditch!). I almost ate the bone on that chop!

And I agree... cast iron, don't overcook... trichinosis is not an issue these days with domestic pork. Season with just salt & pepper and let the pork fat shine!

Interesting. I thought I had to go to the shoulder to find fat but there may be some ‘prime’ (I know) pork out there. My wallet feels lighter already. Thanks.

Hilditch

Personally, I'm a middle-of-the-roader. My "pork chops" are slices of boneless pork loin. I buy the whole boneless loin when it's on sale (usually ~$1.50/lb. or less), slice it about 1" thick, brine the slices (2 cups apple juice, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, a teaspoon of black pepper and a sometimes 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, along with about 2 quarts of cold water) for about 12 hours (overnight), then lay them on a sheet pan in the freezer until solid. I then vacuum seal them in batches of 3 or 4.

At that thickness and with the brine helping, they thaw in the fridge in less than 10 hours (so I can take 'em out before going to work and they're ready to cook by the time I come home). About 3 minutes per side over medium heat (usually in the "lid" from my Lodge combo cooker), then park it in a closed (turned off) oven for a 10-15 minute rest.

Sometimes I cook a pork tenderloin, sometimes a top loin and sometimes pork chops. Like with beef, there is the tenderloin, the top loin and a t-bone. T-bone steaks and pork chops have a lot in common, including a bone. This thread was for pork chops.

I agree, pork loin by itself is very bland and needs additional flavoring, like from a brine. Not so with a pork chop with a good layer of fat.

Hilditch

Back