*Sigh*

PeteK

This is what you get when buying from eBay. I don't know whether or not to open it....

Any recommendations? I already e-mailed pics to the seller.

erie1.jpg

erie2.jpg

Take lots of photos. The PO will not pay on insurance if it was not packed properly.:shootself:

Hope for the best.

Been there. It's good that you started taking pictures before opening the box. Document, document, document. Hopefully, it's not damaged (either by or before the lousy packing). IMO, this one is all on the seller.

So here's the back-and-forth with the seller so far.

Me (pics attached)
"Hi. I finally received the pan, and this is how it arrived. I haven't opened it yet.

Not even a coat of bubble wrap? Nice job."

Him
"There is bubble wrap. However the box was not even damaged when I shipped it. USPS would not accept it if the box was damaged. I can only contribute it to rough handling of the package which is probably due to the holidays and the increased mail volume.

My apologies but I would have not shipped the skillet in a box of that condition.

My apologies."

Me (new pic with his return address on it)
"So you're saying you didn't send this? That isn't your name on the return address? I'm not saying you shipped a beat-up box, but I am telling you there is no bubble wrap in there."

Him
"I am precisely saying that I shipped the skillet in an undamaged box. I apologize for the USPS handling.

I believe that there isn't any bubble wrap where the side of the box ripped. But there was when it shipped.

I certainly understand the frustration."

I peeked inside the gaping hole, and there is clearly not an ounce of bubble wrap. smh

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

So do you think I should open it? If I did, I would video record myself doing it.

You're going to need to determine if it's damaged or not, so opening it will be necessary. I have only gone so far to video something to demonstrate it was warped (a spinner). It already sounds like the seller is going to claim packing material was there, regardless of if it was or not. It would be advisable to then show that even the amount of packing claimed was woefullly insufficient to protect the item in shipment. It's not the USPS' job to treat everything like eggs on the off-chance it's under-protected. You can point to more than one online example of best practices for CI packing for the seller to compare his to and see that his efforts, if any, were substandard.

http://www.castironcollector.com/selling.php#packing

or

http://www.wag-society.org/Packing/Packing.htm

I always try to remain calm in communications to sellers, but make it very clear what resolution I expect. Being confrontational often gives the other party the excuse to be unresponsive.

Thanks, Doug. I really appreciate your feedback.

This was my last reply, to which I have not received a response:
"I still haven't opened it. I can see easily through the giant gaping hole that there is not one shred of bubble wrap in there. So your contention is that the USPS ripped a giant hole in the box, pulled the bubble wrap out, and then delivered it to my office?

I'm sorry, but that is a bit beyond belief. Seriously, if there were any wrap around the pan, I doubt that the hole would have been created.

I'm not saying you shipped it in a damaged box, but I maintain that there was no bubble wrap around the pan. And I believe that the USPS will not honor the insurance if it was not properly packaged. Like I said, I haven't opened the box yet. I don't know what to do at this point."

I generally agree about being non-confrontational. My communication with this guy is actually very out of character for me, I'm usually much more polite. I just don't like being lied to.

I guess I'll open it and see how it looks. And hopefully you guys can tell me if it's a fake or repro, lol. Although it might need a lye bath first to tell.

Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

So I opened it. I believe that the banging around may have chipped the seasoning, but that doesn't bother me as it's going in a lye bath straight away. Otherwise, it seems okay. Doesn't seem to wobble, not that I trust my laminate desk.

It doesn't look like it was bottom gated, but I don't know if there are other tell-tale signs of it being a fake/repro. Here are some pics:

Image Image

If not warped and not pitted (no pic of the inside), the only thing I would be concerned about at this point is a crack or chip, often obscured by old seasoning. If you want to try the "ring" test before the lye bath, just to see what it's about, hold the pan upside down on your fingertips (like a waiter with a tray), and flick or tap the rim. Intact pans have a somewhat-sustained ring; cracked ones, a dull thump. Crud can affect the sound, so it's not always reliable on an encrusted pan. Also note that some crusty pans don't wobble... until they're cleaned. Hopefully, you'll end up with a nice early 3rd series Erie.

Rats. I suppose this could have happened during shipment. It definitely goes all the way through.

erie7.jpg

Same pic without cropping below. It's right near the handle (seen in the upper right).
erie7a.jpg

Looks fresh. The seller, however, did advertise it as being crack and warp free. If he won't stand behind his poor packing, therefore solely responsible for the damage, and allow you a return for refund, looks like you're going to have to make an eBay claim.

Thanks again, Doug. I just e-mailed him photos and asked to return it for a full refund. I'll see what he says.

[rant]Who in their right mind sends a 100+ year old cast iron pan bare in a USPS box?!?!?! That bleeping bleep bleep! I was really looking forward to owning and using this bleeping pan.[/rant]

Phew, glad to get that out of my system, lol. :chuckle:

In cases such as this, I indicate that I expect a refund to include reimbursement for return shipping as well as original shipping and purchase price, regardless of what the auction return terms state. The shipping details only said "standard shipping"; if it had said flat rate priority box, you could have at least had the opportunity to say, "hey, wait a minute". If the seller refuses to cover everything, then eBay claims are all that's left, but it does put a black mark on their eBay standing. Although he does sell a variety of stuff, I see this particular seller is no stranger to selling and shipping vintage cast iron.

For future reference, consider reaching out to the sellers in advance, and make sure there's a clear understanding of packing practices. Having operated this way, I have never had to pay the return shipping for a pan with damage.

[rant]Who in their right mind sends a 100+ year old cast iron pan bare in a USPS box?!?!?! That bleeping bleep bleep! I was really looking forward to owning and using this bleeping pan.[/rant]

Phew, glad to get that out of my system, lol. :chuckle:

WaYYYYYYYYYY to many people.

When I get a damaged package at the PO. I open it right there with the post master. That is the way they gave it to me, they cannot saw that I did it after I took it home.
The same goes for receiving damaged freight on a truck. I make the driver open the package right on his truck. I had to do that years ago for a $5000.00 all glass steam and shower unite. The shipper had to replace it.:icon_thumbsup:

File a case on Ebay ASAP. Put his feet to the fire. He is already trying to pass blame. Good Luck.

For future reference, consider reaching out to the sellers in advance, and make sure there's a clear understanding of packing practices. Having operated this way, I have never had to pay the return shipping for a pan with damage.

Duly noted. Luckily for me, I work for a company that allows its employees to use their UPS account for free, so I personally don't have to pay for the return.

When I get a damaged package at the PO. I open it right there with the post master.
This was delivered to my work and I didn't sign for it. Someone just brought it to my office, so I didn't have a chance to open it in front of the postman.

File a case on Ebay ASAP. Put his feet to the fire. He is already trying to pass blame. Good Luck.
I didn't post his latest reply (before I found the crack). It was apologetic, and he'd offered me a 15% refund.

Having seen the crack, he just replied that I can return it for a full refund. The last sentence made me LOL:
"Please ensure to package it properly to avoid any further damage."
:icon_rofl: :roll: :eek: :shootself:

This would be an opportunity for a "teachable moment": Pack it like it should have been in the first place, along with a cordial note explaining this is how is should be done.

Having seen the crack, he just replied that I can return it for a full refund. The last sentence made me LOL:
"Please ensure to package it properly to avoid any further damage."
:icon_rofl: :roll: :eek: :shootself:

I fell off my seat LMAO.

I like what doug said. Give him step by step directions, just might save the next buyer.

Oh I know how you feel..... :frown:

I've been on the receiving end of boxes with handles hanging out, pans shipped in giant padded envelopes, etc etc.... I always send the link to proper packaging, and explain how fragile cast iron is. I send this note to the seller immediately after paying. They ALL seem to ignore it. I've only been asked to mail one back so far, and after I informed them that they would be paying the shipping, they allowed me to keep the cracked skillet. Whoo Hoo, thanks..... Pshh..

One thing I've noticed is that every piece I've received that's been broken or cracked (So far) has been in a box with NO damage. The problem is almost always if the box fits the piece too tight. They stack the boxes in the trucks, something heavy sits on the box and there is no give, so the pan gives and cracks.

You can see my current broken cast iron history in this thread.
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486

I wish I had taken pictures of a box I got last month. I bought a skillet cover and the seller shipped it in a large flat rate box and used - used, as in still having congealed tea drippings, fast food cups as fill material. came in one piece but needless to say he did not receive positive feedback.

You just can't be afraid to call people out. If they say it's flat and it comes warped I immediately file an item not as claimed

The crack certainly does look fresh. I see no trace of seasoning, crud, residue ... nothing. Just about center of crack, it even looks like the seasoning/crud chipped when it cracked.

Simply heart breaking

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Simply heart breaking. Lasted 100 years to be broke by such a simple fix

Back