New camp ovens?

JeanC

Hi everyone,

Thanks for a great site, very informative. I am looking at getting a few camp ovens.

I was all set to buy a few of Lodge's, confident they are made in the USA and hopefully not radioactive and nothing but safe iron in them.

A friend told me it's hogwash, that Lodge IS making some things in China. Does anyone know if this is true?

And if so, how do I know what's made here and what isn't?

Thanks,
Jean

According to their own website, Lodge is outsourcing their enameled cast iron products to a "partner foundry" in China. Their bare, pre-seasoned iron continues to be produced in the USA, as it always has.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/aboutus

I have a #12 Camp oven and love it. Its a little rough compared to the old polished counterparts of the past but still a great piece. My wife makes the best gumbo in ours once a year, and chilly is always a fun one to cook. When ever I break out mine when camping with friends I always tell them its like barbecuing soup!

What are you planning on using them for?

I have two of the old Lodge #12 CO's, at least 50 years old each. They are somewhat rough and heavy, but the price seemed right each time. I've heard of them being stacked 5 or 6 high for cooking lots of grub, so I have a decent start.

I have three Lodge camp ovens, 8", 10" and 12". As Dave noted, a bit rough compared to the older ones, but I love mine.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be checking them out soon.

I have one I was pleasently surprised to find at a garage sale, looks like it may be a lodge, but not sure.

Dave, I am planning to cook and bake with them. :) Silly man!

I returned yesterday from my annual hunting trip (nearly 5 weeks) in the Idaho mountains. While at camp, I used my 8" and 10" camp ovens for numerous dinners and sides. I cooked chicken and rice casserole, sirloin tip roast, pork shoulder roast, fresh venison rump roast, various stews and such in the 10". Baked potatoes, steamed potatoes, steamed corn on the cob, cornbread, Mexican bread, cowboy biscuits, soda breead and even a small cake in the 8". :tasty:

Everything turned out extremely well and the COs cleaned up with a wooden spatula, a bit of warm water and paper towels. If it weren't so cold and breezy outside, I'd use them more in the back yard now that I'm home. :-D

Back