Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 02-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Power Source for E-Tank

You might want to consider an outdoor LED lighting transformer. Their output is 12 Volts DC and can be had in the 8~12 Amp range for a reasonable price. Waterproof with thermal and short circuit protection is built in. I can't guarantee it'll work without trying it myself, but the only difficulty I can imagine would be the need of a resistor across the output to act as a dummy load if/when you don't have the e-tank's leads hooked up to the power supply when you plug it in. Some power supplies will shut off if they detect an open load. Heck, I may research this more and get one in order to save my Schumacher for the car.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 06:43 PM

Hi Ty L.,

Funny you say this as I was looking at them today. What I do not like about them is the fact that they are set at one amp setting. I like to push my amps up to 30 in the winter for the extra heat to keep the ice at bay, and normally run at 12 V 10AMP. At this point I am leaning towards the VolteQ HY 1530EX. Just have to build it a home as I posted earlier.

I am ordering new diodes for my dead work horse charger.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnE View Post
Jeffrey,

I use a Voltec HY1520EX bench power supply. It is capable of 15V and 20A. Either constant voltage or constant current.

ShawnE,

If you do not mind. How long have you had yours, and also how long do you have it running?

My eTank needs to run 24 /7, one to stay warm two to keep up with my load. I am thinking it should run 2 eTanks.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:26 PM

Jeffrey,

I've had my HY1520EX for 4 or 5 years. It's one of my many bench supplies that I use for electronics work. I just re-purposed it for use in my e-tank instead of buying something. I've used these type of Chinese supplies for many years at a number of companies as well as on my own electronics bench. They tend to be pretty reliable. I haven't run this one 24/7 but I have run others in this class 24/7 for years.

That being said, they are electronic and electronics have the annoying tendency to let their smoke out at seemingly random times.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Site Admin

VolteQ source: https://www.amazon.com/Volteq-Variab.../dp/B00OBSN0IQ
This model should be enough for most people's needs. A little spendy, though, compared to auto battery chargers. I'm tempted.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:10 PM

ShawnE, TY, answer I was looking for, "I have run others in this class 24/7 for years."

Doug D. You are looking at the same power source as ShawnE posted in replay #2.

I'm very tempted also.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Well, time for an update. Looks like I will hold off at this time of the VolteQ HY 1530EX. To many unknowns with something of this cost, cold, dust, moisture could spell doom sooner than I care.

So I ordered new diodes and 12V x 100A circuit breaker and am making bubbles and heat in the eTank. This morning it was 14 degrees and my eTank was 78 degrees.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 PM

https://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-w...000P#Imagezoom.
Not even sure if sears still sell this guy but I've had mine for 10 years and have used it for various things including my E-Tank.
Costly but a very good investment in the long run.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFraley View Post
https://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-w...000P#Imagezoom.
Not even sure if sears still sell this guy but I've had mine for 10 years and have used it for various things including my E-Tank.
Costly but a very good investment in the long run.
Nothing wrong with costly and good investment in the same sentence.

I have had my Schumacher since the 1980s. Hate to part friends after this long. She is working 24/7 again.