Cauldrons (Kettles)

MDFraley

Here I am asking a question again.....Since I do not have the Grey Book I am in question about a large C.I. Cauldron I saw today at a local shop. It was marked as follows; Symbol of an anchor Followed by No. 12 15 GALL (all at the top of the kettle. Second line- PHILAD (space) ELPHIA. Third line- NORTH CHASE & NORTH.
In our C.I.C resource data base it tells me the foundry made these kettles, tea pots, and waffle irons around 1861. Kettle appears to have at least two mold castings (maybe more) three large (2" Dia.) cone shaped feet and lifting handles opposite sides. Wish I had my camera with me but didn't...lesson learned.
If no ideas I may try and stop by this weekend and get a pic.
Thanks in advance.

Gray Book shows a NC&N kettle on pg. 52 which sounds very similar to what you are describing. It gives a date of ~1858.

O.K. Everyone...Here's the pic's I promised regarding the kettle I saw yesterday. Maybe they will spark someone's memory and hopefully give me some insight on kettles. So far I've stuck to the small stuff and this would be a big step getting into these sizes.
Thanks in advance.
MD

Attachments

• P2260290 - Copy.jpg
    P2260290 - Copy.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 75
  • P2260291 - Copy.jpg
    P2260291 - Copy.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 75
  • P2260295 - Copy.jpg
    P2260295 - Copy.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 70
If you are going to collect early iron, I would highly recommend you get yourself the Gray Book.
http://www.castironcollector.com/shopping.php

As KevinE stated, Gray Book shows a NC&N kettle on pg. 52

It is not your kettle, but is the same company and is a smaller kettle.
Dating these kettles is generally by the form of ears or lugs for the bail attachment, also the shape of the feet.

Looking at the legs on this kettle, they look like D shaped. In the Gray Book it states that most eighteenth and early nineteenth century legs were D shaped.

This company also made cast iron coal or wood burning cook stoves during the 1850 - 1860s, they also made parlor stoves.

I see some nice iron.

MDF, THAT'S my Caldron BUT with no handles. I am trying to figure out what mine is worth. I want to sell it but have NO IDEA what to ask.
Thank you for link.

MD Fraley,
I AM TOTALLY MISTAKEN. My Cauldron DOES INDEED have handles, sooo my Cauldron is identical to the picture you posted. I really hate to part with it but my son is in a small bind and I will have to sell my Cauldron.
Love the info you posted and link
Thanks again

Back